Multi Coated Enlarging Lenses???

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Neil Poulsen, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Neil Poulsen

Neil Poulsen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just saw a reference in the archives suggesting that enlarging lenses aren't multi-coated. Is this true? If so, why? I would think that reducing flare would be a great thing for enlarging lens?

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most (or all) of mine are multicoated. From the Schneider site:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2009
  3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The more elements, the more important any anti-reflective means becomes (to put it very simple).

This should be apropriate for all kind of lenses.

4. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The older ones aren't of course. Probably back in the day before people could easily afford a Rodagon or Nikkor it was common to use older cheap enlarger lenses that were single coated.

5. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frankly, I've never thought about this before. For how long have Rodagons, Componon-S, and Nikon enlarging lenses been multicoated? I've just assumed that any lenses that are at all recent are multicoated, but that might be a dangerous assumption.

6. Neil Poulsen

Neil Poulsen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    ic-racer,

good point. i should have checked the Schneider site. sure makes sense to me.

thanks

7. Randy Stewart

Randy Stewart Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Although "multi-coating" was invented by Zeiss in the early 1940s, it didn't make it into camera lens general usage until the mid-1970s [when Pentax figured out a cost-effective manufacturing technique]. On a 4 or 6 element enlarging lens, by design not subject to use with flaring light sources, its practical image impact over single-coat usage is nearly insignificant. It was probably introduced more for marketing purposes than performance, although multicoated lenses should produce slightly higher printing contrast.

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Multi coating wasn't invented by Zeiss.

But Zeiss were definitely heavily coating some lenses before WWII.I've seen a coated 1939 150mm Tessar.

However I think Taylor, Taylor, Hobson (Cooke) in the UK were ahead in coating technology.

Ian

9. John R.

John R. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think Randy was speaking about true interference coatings for things like UV and such, and in that regard he is correct it was Zeiss but if memory serves it was sometime even earlier on. Taylor and Hobson may have had some advancements in coatings but Zeiss was an earlier purveyor. I don't know when or by who an actual coating was invented by for a piece of glass. Maybe the Zeiss website would have info on that.

10. Kirk Keyes

Kirk Keyes Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Neil - it just goes to show that one can't trust everything they read on the Interweb. Even if it is on APUG...

:^)

Kirk