multiple-exposure capable TLR camera reccomendation?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by shecky, Feb 8, 2006.

1. shecky

shecky Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hi - first post, so pls. pardon my newbieness (or is that newbieosity?)

i have been shooting medium format for a while on a Holga, and while i do love what this toy camera does for me, i want to be able to step up to a TLR camera so i can have actual visual focus control, exposure control, etc. that the Holga lacks. having said that, what is critical to me is the ability for multiple exposures. i have been doing my research and its surprisingly hard to find out with any clearly definitive answers which inexpensive (sub-$100 Ebay prices) TLR cameras have multiple exposure functionality built-in.

Looks like the

Yashica D
    Mamiya C220
    Mamiya C33
    Mamiya C330

will do M-E, as well as what i assume are many, many, many other cameras. i was looking for any verification of this functionality in these cameras, as well as any other recommendations anyone has. while in an ideal world a $30 camera would have exceptional optics and picture quality, i am a lot more interested in price and functionality than the actual quality of the images itself (i shoot 95% experimental/non-representational images, so perfect quality is really not that important)

thanks for your help!

(i should mention that if anyone is selling an appropriate camera, please let me know - im looking!)

2. markbb

markbb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have an MPP TLR at home that allows multi exposure. From memory it works fine, but I haven't fired the shutter for a few years. I could dig it out for you? If you are interested you pay the postage from the UK and donate US $30 to APUG.

3. mikeg

mikeg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If you're not interested in picture quality and price is important then don't forget the Lubitel :wink: It's incredibly easy to do multiple exposures with. In fact it's often hard not to!

Mike

4. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Mamiyas let you override the anti double exposure system, but it's there when you do want it.

David

5. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just won a Yashica A on ebay for a whopping $15. Keep the three element Yashikor lens stopped down to f8 or less and the image quality is very good. Not up to some of the four element lenses out there, but probably as good as some of the lesser quality four element lenses (Yashimar, Luxamar). I have a Yashica D with Yashinon lenses, and when stopped down, there is not much difference between the two lenses. There is an image in my gallery taken with the Yashica A called "winter" if you want to have a look. The scans really don't do justice to the prints.

6. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Mamiya C330f and making multiple exposures is a doddle. You can use the override 'switch' on the side or (as I do) just cock the shutter manually by pressing down the cocking lever. So, that's my recommendation: get yourself a Mamiya TLR, preferably one of the later models. They also have interchangeable lenses!

7. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All older TLR's that require you to cock the shutter manually rather than automatically through the wind mechanism should allow for multiple exposures.

8. shecky

shecky Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    which model? what comes with it? etc...

thanks for the other recommendations everyone. i have been watching a few Yashica D and a couple of Mamiya c220 on Ebay - just have to wait and see what's what.

My understanding of the Lubitel is that its essentially a Holga in a TLR enclosure - so similar issues with leaks, quality, etc... all the stuff i have in a Holga (which as we know is part of what makes a Holga a good thing). so while i do like the option of exposure/focus/etc that it does offer, i think if i am going to a TLR i may as well get something a step up from there. tho knowing my propensity for buying cameras i don't need but just have to buy anyway, im sure i will end up with one eventually :smile:

9. Jimster

Jimster Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Shecky. I have an Argus Argoflex EF that allows multiple exposures. In
    fact there is no mechanism to prevent it. The shutter is not connected with
    the winder. The only drawback from my perspective is that it takes 620 film.
    It is a rugged, all-metal body TLR from the late 40s; and is usually inexpensive
    on ebay. Jim.

10. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Double exposures and multiple exposures are very easy with the Mamiya 220.

Plus, it is a very dependable camera.

11. markbb

markbb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Let me get back to you. As to what comes with it - a lens cap!

12. bdilgard

bdilgard Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Ciro-flex or Graflex 22 come to mind with OK optics and use 120 film, the Ciro-flex generally sell for $20 more or less on ebay, the Graflex 22 a little more (X sync for flash is a nice improvement). Watch out for stuck focus or damaged focus from someone trying to force a stuck camera. Lower end (older) Ciro-flexes have no provision for flash.

13. unclebilly

unclebilly Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    you can buy an older rolleicord on ebay that will give excellent results with that antique feel and as was said before, sometime give multiple exposures by accident... ask me how I know. You be looking at under $100 for sure.

14. shecky

shecky Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i ended up getting a pretty good deal on an excellent condition yashica 635 from ebay. thanks for all the advice everyone :smile:

15. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format

That's why the only time I meant to do a multiple exposure with mine, I printed the damn thing, hehehehehee! I lost count of how many I make... but I would not be surprised ifit was at least one per roll...
    I know, off topic - but I just laughed myself sily when I read this :D