Multiple Pinhole Exposure Method

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by aaronmichael, Mar 28, 2011.

1. aaronmichael

aaronmichael Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I made a new pinhole camera the other day from a rectangular box I found - it was just missing a back. I drilled three holes in the front and put a pinhole behind each. My question is, what would be the best way to expose the image? I could either build something to uncover all three at the same time or I could expose one pinhole, cover it back up, then expose the next,...etc. I'm thinking the two different methods would produce different results. Maybe doing it one at a time would produce a sharper image because the light from the other pinhole(s) isn't interfering. Any input would be great - thanks.

[​IMG]

2. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Considering it's such a weird design, I'd love to see all the pinholes exposed at once.

Just make sure the escalators not moving.... :wink:

3. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That is quite interesting. Expose one, move to a new spot, expose another. Think of the possibilities!

4. aaronmichael

aaronmichael Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Why did I not think of that!? I'm for sure going to have to try that out next time I use it.

Haha - the escalator was off. It's spring break at our campus so everything is shut down. Maybe I'll just have to do a series of tests with it, one with opening all of them at once and another with doing one at a time. And then of course as Klainmeister suggested, take three different photos with it.

This is one I took with it yesterday, but now I forget how I exposed it.

http://flic.kr/p/9tU6yB

5. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, put color separation filters over the 3-pinholes and you've got instant separation negatives for tri-color printing.

Haha, the possibilities are endless.

6. aaronmichael

aaronmichael Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That would only work with black and white film and not paper negatives, right? Since photo paper isn't sensitive to red light. I don't know, I'm confusing myself now - haha.

7. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think it would make any difference if you open the pinholes all at once or one at a time, that's how the little blenders work. Now if the elevator your got the tripod on starts moving, all bets are off.

8. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactamundo.... so scratch my idea if you're using paper. :whistling:

9. aaronmichael

aaronmichael Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yup, using paper. I think it would be a pain in the ass to load that thing with film, along with the fact that it would be impractical and expensive. Paper negatives are much easier :smile: I shot with it more today and I found that all my images were turning out really grey for some reason. It looked like the paper was fogged but I cut a strip off, put it in the developer, and it looked fine. The inside of the camera wasn't painted black so I'm thinking that maybe have had something to do with it? I spray painted it tonight and hoping to try it out again later on this week.

10. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Remember to submit an image (whatever image eventuates) for World Pinhole Photography Day on 24th April!
    Not sure that not having painting the inside of the camera black is a good idea.

11. aaronmichael

aaronmichael Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yeah, definitely going to submit something. I just finished spray painting the inside black. I really should have done that before I started testing the camera.

12. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Having thought about it, I imagine that making a pinhole "triptych" incorporating escalators and people might be quite abstractive/interpretive.
    It would also no doubt be a moving experience...