Music in the Darkroom?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Ektagraphic, Feb 14, 2010.

Do you listen to music while in the darkroom

1. I like to listen to music when in the darkroom.

64 vote(s)
    74.4%
  2. I like the sounds of silence when I work in the darkroom.

22 vote(s)
    25.6%
  1. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do you listen to music in the darkroom or do you like the silence. I like silence when I am loading film into a tank or into the holders but while processing and printing I love music. I have just bought another record player so I'll now have one for the darkroom. That will really be a treat!

2. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah yes....the gentle hum of the ventilation system, the gurgling of the water, and MUSIC! I am in another world and loving it. I do NOT have a phone in the darkroom - the voice mail can take it.

Bob

3. images39

images39 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I always have music on in the darkroom. It adds a lot to the darkroom experience!

Dale

4. Firestarter

Firestarter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What is it about our breed, darkrooms rather then Digital, Vinyl rather then Cd..

I love it :smile:

Long time since I had a permanent darkroom ( working on it right now ) but I do like a bit of music.

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I marked neither of the boxes. It all depends on my mood, and what time of the day(sometimes I print at 4 or 5 in the AM) so I dont disturb the rest of the family. When I do listen, its usually Deep Tracks on Sirius sat. radio.

Rick

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like to listen to music when I'm in the darkroom, most of the time anyway.

Jeff

7. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would actually like to put a phone in my darkroom. A rotary phone on the wall would be fun, I think. Other than that no phone. I'd probably turn the ringer off and use it just to send calls out.

8. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I listen to the radio regardless of printing or developing film. Deathly quiet just doesn't cut it for me.
    Firestarter - maybe I'll try and fit an 8-Track player to match my old turntable and casette deck that lives in the house? :wink:

9. jmcd

jmcd Member

I do not listen to music when I am doing any kind of work. It's not that I don't like music, I love it, and it overwhelms me completely.

10. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    when I get the chance to get back in the darkroom(at school, can't print at home :sad:), it will be with an ipod blasting some mc hammer, Led Zeppelin, and some beach boys!

nice thing too, the lab techs run the internet radio ALLLLLLLLL day long!

-Dan

11. gregmacc

gregmacc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes ... preferably jazz ... Kenny Burrell, Wayne Shorter, Pat Metheny, John Scofield ...
    I also like to use that type of music to get myself inspired before a shooting session ... often in the car on the way to a favorite shooting area.

12. Craig Swensson

Craig Swensson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    record player
    hehe,exellent.

Gee i wish i had the space and the ability to multi task then i would have a record player in the darkroom,a valve amp and a pair of bowers and wilkins. Me, i have enough trouble remembering to change aperture after focusing as it is without Joe Strummer distracting my attempt at workflow.
    I could get one of those ipad things?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2010
  13. sun of sand

sun of sand Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I crank up the phonograph on occasion

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You should have included an option for both. Sometimes I like music, other times quiet.

16. stwb

stwb Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I never work in the darkroom in silence. Usually metal or CBC radio.

17. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I agree, gotta have music in the darkroom. It adds to creative juices.

18. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agree. Music's music and if it has any integrity and complexity it demands total attention, like the print you're making.

I do, however, sometimes listen to current affairs-like radio (think NPR Americans), although the grumpiness induced by the antics of politicians doesn't help for a serene dark room mood.

Regards - Ross

19. Cainquixote

Cainquixote Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i like taj mahal when i'm working

20. Cheryl Jacobs

Cheryl Jacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I always listen to music in the darkroom. I use the time like I use my driving time, to learn new material for my band and/or to memorize lyrics.

And to stay awake, since I don't get much sleeping time.

- CJ

21. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had to vote "no" only because I usually make my own music when I work, in the form of whistles, hums, grunts, splashes and occasional toe taps. And other sounds.

I have been thinking for some time how handy it'd be to sort my favourite music by duration and use that to time the darkroom work. For example, Bolero takes about 17 mins which is about right for dev + stop + fix for neopan 400 in xtol 1+1 or wd2d+, and the agitations and bath switches are even suggested by changes of the instrumental groups. Plus, when you finally pull the film out of the fix, it's nice to have the trombones blaring, and then that sort of resigned "that's all folks" at the very end.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2010
  22. VaryaV

VaryaV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Always - my success or failure is totally dependent on the music which is totally dependent on my mood.

I have to load in silence though or I'll mess up.

23. Hal Reiser

Hal Reiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I always listen to music when working in the darkroom. When I bought my house it had to have two things a garage and a basement for the darkroom. When I built the darkroom I ran wiring to connect my upstairs stereo system to the darkroom. Along with the speaker wires I installed a remote IR repeater system which allowed me to control the system in the darkroom using the CD player and receiver's remote controls. Combined with a 5 disc CD changer the system works great. If I don't want discs than I can control the receiver's FM tuner

24. klarifon

klarifon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't think that bolero would lose its charm after a while then? I like the piece but I don't think I'd like to listen to it that often:wink:

I usually put on the radio but I've been thinking of taking a cd player to the darkroom because I'm not really into the music they play on the radio. I like classical and jazz and I haven't found any good chanel for that yet.

25. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was recently told about Pandora by a friend. Now that is amazing, definitely check it out. It's free internet radio, basically.

26. klarifon

klarifon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the tip, I'll have a look at that:smile:. But it unfortunately It won't help in the darkroom because I don't have a computer there.