My 99 cent special ...

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by paulfish4570, Jul 22, 2010.

1. paulfish4570

paulfish4570 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ... from ebay. Actually the price was more like $5 considering the shipping/handling overcharge. Nevertheless, the 120-film Tower - with built-in strap, plus a flash gun - appears to be a dandy. It is far sturdier than my Brownie flash. It has single shutter speed of about 1/100, plus bulb. The shutter is cocked upon wind-on, making it more difficult to double expose a frame. The aperture appears to be about f11, based on a comparison with my Industar-61, which has about the same front element diameter. The red film number window is very dark, making it difficult to watch for the next number during wind-on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is loaded with the formerly lonely roll of 100 asa Ektar that had been sitting in my regfrigerator so long. She already is on frame No. 6 after we went looking for 100/f11 light on this miserably hot day.
    Of course I blew the first frame because of the dark red window; rolled right past it. But we happily snapped four pics to bring us up to the ndext one.

2. tac

tac Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Very cool- I wanna see photographs made with this camera.

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm impressed! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Jeff

4. paulfish4570

paulfish4570 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have not messed with one of these since I was about 13, 46 years ago. It is a hoot to mess with one now. I did five dachsund level shots with the camera solidly on the ground or a dock or a post, subject in focus from 8 feet out. I tried one handheld. No more. Obvious it was torqueing and shaking with the stiff push. Since this is C-41 Ektar I cannot process it myself. Think anyone would mind if I post pics here anyhow, as long as they are not in the gallery? The next roll will be black and white, maybe Acros or Fomapan or Tri-X ...

5. kuyman

kuyman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I actually have one of these same cameras. It was my grandpa's first camera after he got married to his first wife. I shot a roll of Velvia in it last year and it turned out acceptably well for such a camera.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul:

There is no problem with posting photographs here on APUG that are processed by someone else - as long as they are shot on film, printed on photographic paper and you haven't intentionally incorporated a digital step. If you are posting a scan from a print done in a commercial colour lab, I would say that APUG puts up with the fact that most such labs scan the neg and then print from the scan.

7. paulfish4570

paulfish4570 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  8. paulfish4570

paulfish4570 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Finished the roll of Ektar a little while ago; hope to get it to the lab tomorrow ...