My compulsion to oil my two Hasselblad 503CX

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by la.triglia, Aug 16, 2009.

1. la.triglia

la.triglia Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Photoaholics,

What do you think about my compulsion to oil (carefully and seldom) lens charger and others key points of my old Hassy? Thanks a lot for your advice!!!!!!
    Aldo

2. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Better resist the urge.

What it will probably do is accumulate (more) dirt, creating a paste that does more to help wear than prevent it.
    You need to take the thing apart, clean the thingies thouroughly before you lube.

And if you do anyway, remember that less is more.

3. la.triglia

la.triglia Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks a lot for your expertise. I know that you have right but it is difficult to accept year after year that nothing is necessary. Ciao

4. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, on your car, you drain the oil and change the filter and do other maintenance things at the same time.

On a mechanical clock, you disassemble it completely, clean, inspect for wear, repair as needed, then assemble, oil, test, adjust, test.

You camera is at least as complicated as a clock or a car.

Fight your compulsion, take two aspirin, and take a nap. :D

5. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The best advice I can give you is leave it alone, cameras are not like cars they dont need regular maintenance," if it ain't broke don't fix it".

6. la.triglia

la.triglia Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Miracle-OK! I follow with pleasure all of you .... but, after more than 20 years always ready to shoot. why an old camera is still prompt without any maintainance?
    Gratefully

7. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    No, don't do it. If you put the oil in the wrong place, it will end up on the aperture or shutter blades. In general, shutters work best with just a tiny amount of lubrication, but it must be in the correct place.

A minute amount of oil on the shutter blades will cause them not to open.

The best thing would be to pay for professional service. Like any mechanical device, it will benefit from routine service.

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just not a good idea. Many good reasons were given above.

If a camera is left in a car and the car gets hot in the sun day after day, the oils will vaporize and deposit themselves on the optical surfaces on the lens. I learned that the hard way with an f/1.4 58mm MC lens. Putting excess oil would make the situation worse.

Steve

9. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well made machines?

But send them in to Hasselblad, and they'll service them for you.

10. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly!

11. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    And they will put the propper grease where it belongs and the propper oil where that belongs.

Cooking oil will freeze any mechanical thing to a grinding hold, normal oil for a car is totaly unsuited for a camera and so on.
    And once you put the wrong oil into the wrong places and it does not work anymore, the bill for the extra cleaning will run up and up......

Peter

12. la.triglia

la.triglia Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks a lot my friends, it is very nice to check that nobody has a different opinion and I accept completely yours behavior.
    In any case, to demonstate you that I was not completely irresponsible I like to explain you that when I did it (lubricating) I just "wet" a small plastic finger with special lubricant (as per weapon) just touching the interested part, not more.

Gratefully

13. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some parts in the Hasselblad camera body are 'greased' with a slight touch of graphite powder, just enough to do the job and not to wander around in the mechanics chamber. This is done when the camera is produced in the factory, for the rest of their life, these parts do not need any oiling.
    Other parts are made of, what is called, self greasing bronze (I do not know if this is the right expression in English), that is bronze, once heated, is cooled in a special oil-bath. This is an old trick used in the bush — and roll bearings of steam locomotives and meant to stand heavy use and last for ever...
    Others are made of dural and are, in factory, polished with rice powder or horse tail hear to be as smooth as possible to avoid wear.
    If I have the time, I will look for that old Hasselblad folder telling all about it.
    If one man should make a 500C/M, and produce all the parts one by one, it would take him about one year...

CLA a Hasselblad is a professionals job.

Good luck,

Philippe

14. Fred De Van

Fred De Van Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Please, Please, Please, NEVER become an Ebay seller!

15. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you nuts? Don't do it. You'll mess it up and then you'll be crying about where to get it fixed and how much it's going to cost.

16. David_A

David_A Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My Brother is a qualified watch repairer, he uses about 4 different oils for the average watch. If something you wear on your wrist uses different oils for different uses within it think what a camera would use.

I wouldn’t touch the insides of a camera I would only trust it to a professional who knows what they are doing, they know what to use and where.

David

17. la.triglia

la.triglia Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Philippe,
    While I have to extend my grateful to all who took the time for their kind advices. A special thanks to you, for the professional answer that stops any doubts. This is what I consider expertise. Even if I feel shame, me I ask you if the same considerations are also valid for my old Linhof “Techinika 70”.
    Thanks again, ciao and all the best.

18. Allan Swindles

Allan Swindles Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Castrol GTX used to be good but nowadays the modern synthetics and semi-synthetics seem to be in favour. Oops, wrong site! Cameras and OIL, where would you start? DON'T DO IT, if it isn't working send it to an approved service agent......... but then, if it's a Hasselblad, it's working and working well. Well, isn't it?

Originally Posted by benjiboy
    ....."if it ain't broke don't fix it".