My Distagon 50 CF FLE is soft

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by AOCo, Jan 27, 2013.

1. AOCo

AOCo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I could not believe it at first, but I have to ackownledge the obvious, my Zeiss Distagon 50mm
    is soft in the corners, and even on the edges. At first I thought I'd chosen the wrong setting for
    the floating lens, which can cause indeed spectacular bad sharpness, but for distant subjects
    with all settings done correctly, it really is way softer than any other wide angles I have
    experienced.

7852676508_965a37ea48_h.jpg

Anyone experienced this already ? Should I get it serviced ?

2. rawhead

rawhead Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    YES. That looks too off. Looks like a misaligned lens during CLA (or even a reversed lens).

3. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had a 50mm CF-Distagon, the non-FLE version that was like that. Replaced it with the FLE version and it is super sharp. I suspect I just had a bad copy, as do you. If you just bought it, return it and get another!

4. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I must be slipping but I can hardly tell with this web rez sample.
    Is it that obvious in your browser?

5. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can see that the right side is a little soft now that it's mentioned, but to be honest, if this was my lens and my photo, I doubt I would have noticed.

6. Douglas Fairbank

Douglas Fairbank Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sometimes the secondary focus group becomes loose. Get a service guy to check it.

7. fatso

fatso Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1

What f-stop did you use ?

I have a FLE and it only shows some minor corner softness at extreme magnifications. You probably want to have yours checked out, preferably by Hasselblad (they still service their film cameras)

Paul

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There may be a misalignment, but first what aperture did you use. I do not have this with my 50mm CF.

9. AOCo

AOCo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Picture above shot at f/5.6. I have made further attempts which confirm the problem. Lens is currently on its way back from servicing, I'll see if things get better, although the service guy did not seem to have a very definite opinion on this problem, said the lens was more or less correctly aligned... I'm very disappointed with Hasselblad gear sometimes, my Bronica GS-1 never had any issues, I start to regret it.