my enlarger bulb just blew and...

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Chriscc123, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Chriscc123

Chriscc123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    well the one that was in there was a 200w 24v halogen lamp.... my enlarger is a beseler 23c 2... with a color pack... if that makes a difference, its been modded to use the more modern halogen lamp... so is this right and where would i find a replacement, as i have never needed to replace it, nor did i mod it

Thanks
    Chris

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Buy three of them: One to replace the burnout, two for spares.
    That way, when the next one burns out (usually at the worst possible time) you can order the replacement at your leisure and still have a spare to keep you in business until the shipment arrives.

Many lamps can be had for less than $10.00 apiece. At that price, you can't afford NOT to have spares on hand.

4. Chriscc123

Chriscc123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    yes i do believe this is the one, i know there is a lighting specialty shop near me, i think i will try them

5. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bring the burned out one with you. They'll match it up if they have it. At worst, they should be able to identify it for you exactly.

6. Chriscc123

Chriscc123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    well done is done.... went to a local shop and got one... next time im ordering from online (there goes something i wanted for the next month... oh well)

7. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RS Components stocks bulbs if you want convenience.

Tom

8. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I went to Ebay and bought 4 replacement lamps when mine went dark. The enlarger uses 2, and I hadn't burnt any out in 15 years, so I figure I'll be good for a while. They were <$10 each on ebay.

9. rmolson

rmolson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    replacments

There is an unwritten law about items that are critical to a system. Never buy one replacement. buy two. that way the first one will never get lost or wear out.and the second one will sit on the shelf gathering dust /

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Call FreeStyle. They are an APUG supporter who stocks enlarger bulbs. Buy more than one. Incandescent bulbs are slated to become extinct in a few years.

Steve

11. redto

redto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    some info that may get someone out of a jam.

I bought a s/h m805 few days ago, no lens board no neg carrier and shop owner said bulb blown. so i bought one from him 19 euro
    when i got home put in bulb an it blew. got out multimeter to check voltage and i was getting 19 which made no sense.
    as im 160 miles from nearest pro photo shop (dublin) i went looking for a bulb 24v 250 w reflector. none to be had

however one shop had projector bulbs 24v 250w which they kept for schools at 8 euro . it was the same 2 pin type but without the reflector. I plugged it in and no problem, so i carefully scraped out the 'cement' from between the reflector an bulb of the old one and removed it. I slid the new one into the reflector and pushed the connector on and clipped it into place.

Job done and at less than half the price and local too. now to make or buy the neg carrier an lens board an play with the toy!

So if someone is in a jam and cant get a bulb quickly this may be a work around and possibly less expensive too. im not even sure if i will bother sealing it back with fire cement

12. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Consider that the hot spot of the lamp (filament) needs to be centered at the focus of the parabolic dish formed by the reflector or else you won't get even coverage from the beam.

Chances are that the design of the reflector is such that the relatively large hot spot of the filament will naturally center itself in the focus but you should verify that just to be sure. Otherwise you are likely to end up with hot spots and dead spots in the field of light projected on the easel.

It might be just as simple as wiggling it the right way or even just setting it, carefully, down on the base of the lamp but one wrong bump might make it move out of place at the most inopportune moment.

You might not need refractory cement. Just a dab of high-temperature silicone stove gasket cement from a squeeze tube might do the trick.
    http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Prod-77-Gasket-Cement/dp/B000FKF80M/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_a

13. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm pretty sure the light goes into a diffusion box before it gets directed out towards the lens. Critical placement of the filament should be relatively unimportant in this case.

14. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are probably right.
    Still, I propose that he should give it a once-over to be sure.

Mind you, I'm a little bit battle hardened on the subject of focusing lamps in their reflectors.
    If you replace the lamp in a cinema projector but you don't ensure that it is properly aligned you can burn the film. Yes, even at 1/24 of a second you can still burn film! Ask me how I know this. :wink:

As much as I know Frank is right, there is still that little knee jerk reaction in me that says, "Check the alignment. The time you spend, now, might save you trouble later on."

:smile: