My First 35mm SLR :D (Pentax ME Super)

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by addies, Apr 25, 2010.

1. addies

addies Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey guys, so a bunch of you have probably seen my other thread about the camera I was planning on buying "Pentax MZ-10". Well, I guess good things come to those who wait :smile:. Yesterday I got an email about a Pentax ME Super that someone had for sale, so today I went to check it out. Guess who now owns an ME Super?

For $60 I got the body, in surprisingly good condition; a 50mm prime lens fstop 2.0; a 28mm lens fstop 2.8 and a clear lens filter marked 1A.
    I think this might be a better deal than the MZ-10, hopefully.

Any advice on what I should do now? Maintenance tips, etc.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who helped me with how to look over cameras, lens tips, etc. You guys are the best.

2. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A nice machine; handles nicely, especially with the winder attached. No DoF preview and no exposure lock on AE are its main drawbacks. Well, the shutter speed buttons are kinda funky, but I've gotten used to it. The viewfinder's very nice-large, bright and clear.

3. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Check the seals on the door. If they are mushy at all, plan on replacing them. Jon Goodman, interslice on ebay-
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pre-Cut-Intersl...=ViewItem&pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item19bb59423a

If you get along with it, plan on sending it out for an overhaul. Eric will replace the seals at the same time. ~$70 and you'll have a great camera for years.
    http://pentaxs.com/index.html

I've found the ME Super metering to be very good at default. Once I found the proper EI setting, rolls come out amazingly consistent. The ME Super and a Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 is my basic street film camera. Wonderful feel, wonderful viewfinder, consistent, small. I even like its muffled mirror slap!

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know much about Pentax, but good luck with it!

Jeff

5. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh yeah! The 28 on it is a great combo, and without winder will slip into a coat pocket easily. Some find the camera too small without winder, but I think it's fine.

6. addies

addies Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Quick question: when I look though the viewfinder, it seems that the area surrounding the outer circle is not as clear as the very center circle, is it dirty or is that how it's supposed to be?

7. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, the outer area is a 'ground glass' look,with a bit of grain to it. There is a central split image circle, a collar of microprisms, and then the ground glass.

8. Southern-Lights

Southern-Lights Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The ME Super is a great camera, imo, also my first SLR.

The winder is nice to have, but I like advancing the film manually better.

9. addies

addies Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Haha okay, thanks.

10. pentax4ever

pentax4ever Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The outer part of the screen is a matte fresnel screen with a split-image and microprism collar in the center. The microprism and split-image area are clearer. Besides using the microprism and split-image area for focusing, you can also use the matte surface like a ground-glass screen, this is useful when you are using slow lenses that black out the microprism and split-image area.

11. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, it's sweet. The vertical shutter allows it to have a nice short winding stroke.
    The winder's nice for people who find the camera to be too small. I like it either way.

12. Dave in Kansas

Dave in Kansas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You should find the ME Super to be a very reliable camera. I have 2 of them that I bought new and other than an occasional CLA, they just go and go. I love the size and feel of them. My only complaint is that the exposure lights in the viewfinder are difficult to see on a bright day.

Dave

13. altair

altair Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a first SLR, the ME Super is an excellent choice. Congratulations. I love mine, mostly due to it's small size, low weight and also it's superb VF. None other like it.

Dan Daniel: I love the muffled mirrror slap too, the nicest sound I've ever heard coming from a 35mm SLR! It gives me such pleasure. But, my friend has another ME SUper and oddly, his doesn't sound quite so muffled. Perhaps his mirror bumper is going?

14. brainsalad

brainsalad Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Very good - it's a more durable camera than the one you were considering, and it has a much better viewfinder too. I enjoy using my ME Super. Hope yours does well for you.