My first 4x5 shot ever....

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Shootar401, May 7, 2012.

1. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Here is my first ever photo taken with a 4x5. Shot on TMax 100, developed in D-76 1:1 for 11:15. I believe the exposure was 1/15th at ƒ/22. Taken with a Horseman L45 and a Rodenstock 210mm. Just scanned, cropped with minor level adjustments.

I didn't have a spot meter so I took an ambient reading in the direct sunlight, and another in the shadows and adjusted from there.

Attached Files:

• SH.jpg
      SH.jpg
      File size:
      635.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
  2. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nice, I wish my first shot was as interesting. The first thing you notice is the words are legible, then you can look closer and see they are crisp and clear. Wouldn't be surprised if you could see chisel marks on closer examination.

4. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This was my first time using TMax in 10 years also. I just now realized that I didn't tilt the back after correcting for distortion using the front standard. Oh well. My second shot of the day, at an abandoned building was out of focus. I think it happened when I inserted the film holder I remember something moving, but didn't think too much about it. I also only had 77mm filters, not 67mm that my lens takes. So I ended up holding the filter in front of the lens. I already ordered a step-up ring.

5. mark

mark Member

IIRC my first large format shot ever was half blank. I did not pull the dark slide out all the way.

6. chuck94022

chuck94022 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What kind of distortion were you trying to correct by tilting the front standard? I don't understand how that would relate to tilting the back standard, which is what you would normally do to control perspective.

Congrats on your first shot!

7. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chuck - I'm guessing he tilted the camera up, then tilted the lens standard forward (instead of just raising the front standard), then had to tilt the back forward to recover parallel to the lens, so, same relationship as just raising the front standard, just more work. I've seen people do this.