My first rangefinder!!

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by jono1515, Jun 7, 2006.

1. jono1515

jono1515 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just got my first rangefinder and I can't believe how quiet this thing is! I've been using a Minolta X-700 for the past year and had gotten pretty used to it, this little Canonet QL17 is so different though. I think I'm going to go out and have a little fun!
    Jono

2. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I enjoy rangefinders. They are quiet, light, and easy to use. Just remember to remove the lens cap before shooting as you will not be able to tell by looking in the viewfinder.

- Randy

3. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I purchased a QL17 a few months ago and just love it. It is my first 35mm RF as well. The lens on that thing is fantastic.

4. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well even Alfred Eisenstadt forgot to remove the lens caps on his Leica M series cameras on more than one occasion.

Rich

5. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That part of the appeal of the collapsible Elmar for me. When I expand it I remove the cap and then when I collapse it, the cap goes back on. The QLs are nice cameras though. I've never owned one, but I have seen many and they always seemed like great cameras.

- Randy

6. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations on your Canon QL17 rangefinder. What condition are the light seals on the inside of the camera back? Did you have to replace them or were they in good condition?

7. jono1515

jono1515 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The lightseals look ok to me, of course I'm pretty new to photography and unless things are in pretty awful shape I wouldn't know the difference. We'll see after I get some film developed.
    The meter on the QL17 is on top of the lens, so if you've got the lens cap on it won't let you take a shot. I like that feature, I'm pretty sure without it I'd end up wasting a bunch of film!

8. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the short time that I've owned the QL17, there have been many times that this feature has come into play.

9. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations! And good choice for first rangefinder.

If the lightseals don't stick to your finger, don't worry about them. As for the meter, don't be afraid to override it, even though it makes it easier to leave the lens cap on. All meters can be fooled unusual lighting conditions much more readily than you can.

10. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If the lightseals are bad, don't worry about it overly. Jon Goodman, a member on this site, sells light seal replacement kits that are both easy to install and very effective. You can replace them in about 30 minutes or less and the kit comes with everything you will need.

- Randy

11. jono1515

jono1515 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll check the light seals out as soon as I get through the roll of film I've already loaded. Thanks for the info on how to tell if they're any good and where to get a replacement kit!

12. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Unless those seals have been replaced, you should replace them. After 30 years, they're either dry and crumbly or goo. And you don't want that stuff getting on your film or the lens.