My first roll of film through my Canon AE-1P!! :) Vancouver Island / Canadian Rockies

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by LowriderS10, Aug 3, 2010.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've always loved film and always liked Canon's AE-1s. I managed to get my paws on a gorgeous AE-1 Program, then picked up a collection of absolute mint lenses...all these were taken with the 28 f2.8. (Pardon the poor scans, I'm waiting to find a good deal on a negative scanner...in the meantime I have to rely on Wal Mart's less than stellar equipment). No PP done, straight off the film (except the last one, very light PP, contrast and saturation slightly bumped). Film was Fuji Superia 200.

Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island

[​IMG]

Port Renfrew, Vancouver Island

[​IMG]

Lake Louise, Alberta (Rockies)

[​IMG]

Near Courtenay, Vancouver Island

[​IMG]

Moraine Lake, Rockies

[​IMG]

Parksville, Vancouver Island

[​IMG]

Port Renfrew, Vancouver Island

[​IMG]

Near Courtenay, Vancouver Island

[​IMG]

Some radar thingie near Sidney, BC

[​IMG]

2. 6x9

6x9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    #8 is awesome, haha.
    You mainly going to shoot color neg or what?

3. Deniz

Deniz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Love them!
    Makes me miss the west coast a load...

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks you both :smile:

6x9: yeah, I think I'm going to stick to mainly colour negs with the occasional B&W thrown in for kicks...I haven't shot slide since I was 11, though I might give that another shot...but only if what I'm doing now loses its novelty :D

Deniz: Yeah, it's hard not to be inspired by the beauty of this place every single day :smile:

5. LudditeJay

LudditeJay Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great colors. You are certainly putting that canon to good use. Enjoy it.

6. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice series! I love the look you got from your C-41 film. I have an AE1-P I can't wait to get in for a CLA.

7. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't write off slide film too easily---I did for a few years, and then got a wild hair and discovered that it's a whole lot easier than I expected (plus, it's longer-lived, and IMHO scans better, than C-41). My AE-1's meter seems to be just about dead perfect for slide use---I believe the AE-1P uses the same metering system, right? Apart from the occasional situation like a backlit subject, where some manual intervention is obviously required, I find I can put it in auto mode (which on the AE-1 means Tv) and forget about it.

The radar tower looks just like the NEXRAD weather stations in the US---perhaps it's part of whatever the equivalent Canadian system is. The one near my house is locally called "God's Golf Ball".

-NT

8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks everyone for the comments :smile: Bill, you're going to love the AE-1...it's a great camera.

ntenny: I'm embarrassed to say this, but even though I own 3 AE-1s (and about to buy another one today), I'm not sure if they share the same metering system...I know the display is different...the original had a needle whereas the Program has little LED lit numbers. None of my cameras ever see any sort of auto/program/priority mode, though...but I'm very happy with the AE-1P's metering...it's a superb tool :smile:

I haven't written off slide...I just haven't shot it in so long and I'm not sure who develops it around here...plus, this whole film thing is a novelty right now (one I'm getting a little obsessed with haha), so I'll go along with C41 for now until I find out more on slides.

I googled the NEXRAD towers and yeah they look very similar! Although I don't think those have the same soccer ball tiles as this one does...could just be a different cover for different climates? Who knows...

Oh yeah...and I decided on film...I threw a roll of Kodak Gold 200 in it...I was so happy with the colours of this camera that I didn't want to toss B&W in it, plus I want to see back-to-back rolls of Kodak and Fuji and compare them and see which one I should stick with. I think the Ilford will live in the Ansco :smile:

9. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great pictures!

Jeff

10. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lovely!

11. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Canon FD Gear is good stuff, I've been shooting with it for more than thirty years.

12. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks everyone!

I agree...I own a decent variety of 35mm gear and the FD stuff is by far my favourite...it's a pleasure to use and it's well-built, high-quality stuff...some guy just liquidated his entire FD collection (87 items!) on ebay this weekend...sadly, everything went for more than I could afford...but man was I ever drooling :smile:

13. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh boy...all hell is about to break loose...I just bought 42 rolls of film from a local guy...time to start snapping away! :D