My first Rolleiflex...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by snaggs, Mar 23, 2007.

1. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just won a Rolleiflex GX 2.8. Any tips before I run my first role of film?

Daniel.

2. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Learn how to move to the right when the moving object you see in the viewfinder is moving left.:wink:

3. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Remember to thread the film leader underneath the first roller!

And have lots of fun!

Vaughn

4. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The first time I held my Rolleicord and panned, I almost fell over from dizziness. Years later it seems perfectly natural.

5. light leak

light leak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only the first roller! The first time I loaded mine I went under the first roller, and the second, and the third.... It didn't work so well.

Jonathan

6. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I had an advanced student (a Rollei TLR user) help out in a photoclass one time. He "helped" another student load a loaner Yashica TLR -- and put the film under the first roller. What a scratched mess of film that was, LOL!

Vaughn

7. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not positive, but I don't think the GX has the film detection feature using the first roller. They went to the "line up the arrows" method with this model. Too much difference in film thicknesses, they said. Rollei's are great cameras, lots of fun and super image makers, hope you enjoy it!

8. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    My Rollei TLR guide does not indicate the film detection feature is missing on the GX. There is no self timer on the GX. Use a hand meter and consider using a tripod. Use of the neck strap will help stabilize the camera. Don't give up on the Rollei if it feels awkward, you get use to it. With B&W film the Rollei makes exceptional images which 135 film can not match. I printed recently shot Rollei negatives last week and now find it hard to consider enlarging my Leica negatives.

9. patrickjames

patrickjames Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pick up the appropriate close up filters for it because sooner or later you will definitely need them. Other than that enjoy the camera, and shoot lots of film! I have two R's and never use them. Don't be like me.

Patrick

10. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excerpted from this review:
    http://www.photographical.net/rolleiflex_gx.html

"Apart from the added TTL light meter and TTL flash meter there are some other changes compared to the F model (I'm comparing to the F model here, because that was the latest model produced prior to the GX).
    The automatic film-detection or film load has been removed - you now have to roll the film all the way to the arrows."

Small loss. Have fun, MF rocks!

11. spark

spark Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Filters can cost a fortune, keep your eyes open for a bayonet adapter that lets you use series filters on the 2.8. Enjoy shooting!

12. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I hope you love the camera.

13. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks all.. taken it in for a CLA, there was alot of dust on the mirror, and the meter didn't seem to be working properly.. or at least the battery indicator didn't.

However, maybe I just didn't know what to do. When you press the green button beside the focus dial.. should the green LED light up?

Daniel.

14. JosBurke

JosBurke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Meter aside--I never use mine (on the camera)--I prefer m Pentax Dig. Spot with all my cameras when shooting B&W or portraits !! Play with it--use it and see just what the rave is all about---i'm a big fan myself anf to me A RolleiFlex Planar or Xenotar and a roll of Ilford Fp4 + are perfect companions !! If I had only one camera and one focal length---it would be a Rollei TLR---no if's !! It would need a Maxwell split image screen too tough--as that is such a big impovement in actual use---I have older models with the standard dark screen--horrible !!

15. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Surely the screen on the GX would be pretty modern already?

Daniel.

16. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes. Bright and contrasty.