My first trip

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by Nikanon, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Nikanon

Nikanon Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Today I was out on a jetti at the beach setting up on the edge of it to make an exposure of the surf. I had my tripod set out on the edge of the jetti on the rocks and my gear in the center for protection. I went back to grab my bronica etr after making sure the tripod was steady and hopped across two rocks to it. I got the necessary equipment and jumped back. At that instant both my feet landed on a slick, slimy, algae surface that blended in with the rock and I did not see, and immediately both came out from under me and I flew through the air and landed on my back/ left elbow. My etr flew into the air and bounced once off the rock. My
    mind screamed as the second bounce would be at the bottom of a crevace. I kicked off the rock, sound around to my front and grabbed it out of the air, stood up shaken. The first thing I checked was my camera, the glass and mechanics seemed ok, what a tank. I then noticed my bleeding elbow. I took off my shirt and tied it over the wound to stop the bleeding and went on with my shot, a bit in pain and shaken, but determined. I was very lucky.

2. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good thing you're young enough to bounce without breaking bones. My 1st instinct would be to save the camera as well but I might end up calling 911.:wink:

3. Kvistgaard

Kvistgaard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You've definitely got your priorities right, Nikanon! Camera first, then body!

4. DLM

DLM Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's been one of my worst fears when out shooting. I like to go out just before civil twilight around the rocks/jettys at the beach, and i'm always worried of stepping on the wrong rock and have my gear go down.

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bodies are self healing, cameras are not - not yet anyway!

Steve.

6. Nikanon

Nikanon Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2009
  7. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    nice,worth a little blood.

8. Denis K

Denis K Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One of the great fictions in photography is that you can capture great images without getting wet. The object lesson in this saying is to go ahead an get wet right from the get-go. It's usually the natural tendancey to stay dry, acting like a cat around water, that leads us into trouble. When taking a water shot, I've always tried to tell myself that I not only want a great image, but I want to be able to tell someone looking at the image, "Yea, I was in up to my armpits getting that one..." I haven't always been successful, especially in winter.

Denis K

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wonder if Eric Rose has a photograph that might illustrate this point? :D

Matt

P.S. I think he just might!

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum49/41909-warning-naked-middle-aged-guy.html#post508511

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
  10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. nicefor88

nicefor88 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Who ever sait photography was without danger, a hobby for retirees... (he should be shot...by a herd of angry paparazzi).:D
    Happy you're still in one piece and able to tell the story...