My first try at Bromoil

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Dan Dozer, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Dan Dozer

Dan Dozer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Last night, I finished my first two print efforts with Bromoil using Kentmere cold tone semi matt photo paper (as recommended by Gene Laughter). I got Gene's book and using all of his techinques and advice, it wasn't very difficult at all. What lot of fun it was and a very interesting process.

Starting out with the inking process, it looks like you're going to get an image that is just a big black blob on the paper, but as you continue to work it around with different brushes and brush techniques, the image gradually forms. I can see how you can use your artistic creativity has a lot to do with your final image.

One question for you experienced Bromoil people out there - you can probably see on the portrait image that on the upper right side of the image, there are some small black spots and marks. I couldn't get them to come out in the process and I assume that I may have been a little too aggressive in my initial brushing and scratched the gelatin. The result might be that the ink got down into the scratches and couldn't be lifted out. Does that make sense?

Learned quite a lot with these first two images - now I'm ready to try more.

Any advice any of you can give me?

Attached Files:

2. Tori8x10

Tori8x10 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Nice images Dan.

3. Dan Dozer

Dan Dozer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Tori - Are you making it out to Joshua Tree this year for Per's get together?

4. GLSmyth

GLSmyth Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I remove these specks by very gently working them out with an Exacto knife - the kind with the curved blade. I gently scrape at them until they are removed. Then again, in my images (http://glsmyth.com/Gallery.asp?G=Bromoil) I tend to leave them in because I am looking for a less photographic impression - it's really mostly about what you are trying to accomplish.

The Kentmere paper is fine for a number of things, but if you want to expand things a little I'd recommend checking out Fomabrom Variant IV, which has a cream base and will give you another arrow in your quill.

Cheers -

george

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The images look good to me. Keep up the good work.

Jeff

6. Dan Dozer

Dan Dozer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks George for the suggestions. I've been working primarily with warm tone paper in my silver printing for the last year or so, and working this cold tone Kentmere looks a little "strange" to me. I think I want a warmer image and I'll check out the Fomabrom.

7. Project Vedos

Project Vedos Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Speaking about Gene Laughter's book Bromoil 101, where can I buy it, from Gene? The only place online I can find currently carrying it is Bostick & Sullivan, but when I make an order on their web site, the shipping calculator gives me $40.70 for the shipping to Finland (the cheapest option) - the book price is $32.50 there, so total cost would be $73.20 !? Any other seller shipping cheaper?

Regards,
    - Jalo

8. GLSmyth

GLSmyth Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As good as Gene's book is, when taking the cost into consideration I would recommend considering the Derek Watkins book Bromoil: A Foundation Course, available through Amazon.com at http://tinyurl.com/y8ws2xj. I've read them both and although I prefer Gene's book, the Watkins book has everything you need to know.

Cheers -

george

9. Project Vedos

Project Vedos Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, I have got the Watkins book already.

10. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm horrified at the shipping cost!!!

Gene

11. kirkslog

kirkslog Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    another method to remove offending marks is to gently apply a touch of liquid lighter fuel with a cotton bud then wash... or ferricyanide..kirk

12. Lyn Arnold

Lyn Arnold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That is much the same shipping cost for goods to Australia. I thought perhaps buying paper from Freestyle on the west coast might reduce shipping costs (a bit closer to OZ), but there is no difference.