my holga FN not crappy enough

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by game, Jun 20, 2006.

1. game

game Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi everyone,
    I recently bought a HOLGA FN. I am very content with it. I loved setting it up, because allthough it is so cheap, I found it to be very well thought trough. Really a nifty design. Anyway, I shot a roll of reala 100 iso, and a roll of 160 portra NC. I only found the results too good, which in a Holga world is a bad thing... I want it to be more crappy. More vignetting, more distortion.
    Am I just unforntunate and do I have a holga that is just not so holgaish?
    Or should I modify it in some way.
    Hope for some thoughts here, thanks!

game

2. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Chip the lens with a hammer and screwdriver. do the same to the back to get some small light leanks. i would never do this with my great lenses

3. jtsatterlee

jtsatterlee Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    a few suggestions and comments-

-don't use the 6x6 film mask that came with it, the mask is new and covers some of the vignetting (if you dont use the mask cover the wall edges between the center compartment and the film compartments with some kind of tape, the edges are sharp there)
    - the greater the scene contrast the greater the vignetting
    - distortion is always there, it doesnt become noticable until you enlarge the neg
    - if you want to try and create more distortion dont focus or focus in the opposite direction of what you need (focus far for near scenes and visa-versa)

4. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just dip your finger in a jar of vasaline and smear it thinly on the lens to get the "Holga" distortion, couple of small holes drilled in the back, should help out with the light leaks, of course you could always open the back a small bit and then hollar *Sh*T* and slam it shut!

Have fun.

R.

5. tommy5c

tommy5c Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They say no two holgas are the same and you may have one of the good ones. I would maybe buy another one and save the good one. maybe you could modify it for 35mm. they are cheap enough that having 2 or 3 isn't a budget buster.

6. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The lens is plastic, so you should be able to rub it with a Q-tip and get light, or deep, scratches, depending on how hard you rub. I would work lightly around the edges first and just a bit in the center. Do a little bit of rubbing, expose some film to see what you've got, do some more rubbing, expose some more film, etc. Can't really help with the light leaks unless you file down the ridge on the back where the back plate mates up with the camera.

- Randy

7. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Put it in a box and ship it to a friend by UPS. Have them ship it back to you the same way. If it's still in one piece, it should be beat enough to give you the results you want.

Or you could leave it in your car on a bright sunny day with all the windows rolled up, should get hot enough to warp the camera.

8. game

game Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :smile:

great tips! thanks. I might be buying one more... Will try removing the mask at first, and myabe rub the plastic a bit in the edges...

Maybe I should see if I can find an old diana? (I beleive that's what holga's predecessor was called...) any thoughts on that?

game

9. ZorkiKat

ZorkiKat Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The diana was the holga's mum. Does your holga's lens focus? Try removing its "barrel helical" and put it back as recklessly as possible. Might get your holga on the right track. I know someone who really 'cooked' her toy cameras by putting them in a pre-heated oven for a few minutes. Don't put yours in with the turkey :D

You might also get away with using one of the old box cameras. They're cheaper than the diana (which is sought by many collectors) and can be modified as well.

Jay

10. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I tried shooting a holga and diana at the same time once. It was interesting to view side by side negs. I prefer the diana and somehow I've ended up with a diana and two clones. They all shoot differently.

If money is a big concern I'd go with a holga and just do all the above suggestions. Those dianas are getting pretty pricey. Of course, if you look for the 40 or so different clone versions you could get really lucky. That's what I did and actually prefer one of my clones to the actual diana. It's craptacular :smile:

Good luck.

11. game

game Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks...!
    game

12. pandino

pandino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have owned three Diana clones, although I've only shot film through one so far. I ended up selling that camera before I saw the results.

The pictures were total crap...I wish I had kept it! I hope the remaining two cameras suck also.

13. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you mean the USPS. ;-)

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nope, UPS kills far more of my packages than USPS. Normally all my USPS stuff comes through with no signs of damage. Every UPS box I get and destroyed.

16. mediumformatphoto

mediumformatphoto Member

IME the Holgas are generally provide much more clarity and less distortion than the Dianas. I have three different Dianas and they all have much more distortion than my Holga. I agree with what others have said -- just modify your lens a bit to make more distortion.

Attached are two images: first is with Holga on NeoPan 400, second is Diana on XP2 Super.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2006
  17. abeku

abeku Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may also remove the "aperture", a plastic thing behind the lens. It's very easy to disassemble/assemble. Use iso 100 film to compensate for the wider aperture (in most daylight situations). You will end up getting much softer pictures...

18. game

game Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ah great, those last posts are very helpfull! The aparture mod seems to make a lot of sense. The side by side comparison is also nice.
    I;ll try some stuff out, and will be searching for a diana too.
    thanks Game

19. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could always upgrade to a pinhole camera. An improperly sized pinhole is no sharper than a Holga lens. An ultra wide-angle pinhole camera has even more vignetting. By curving the film you can get as much distortion, too.

20. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Get a junk store camera. see www.junkstorecameras.com for more info on what ones are truly crap and what ones are decent enough to use.

21. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second the pinhole suggestion of Jim Jones.

22. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pinholga's run about $20

23. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And if replacing a Holga, go for the former.

24. Don Mills

Don Mills Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Freestyle now has a 35mm adopter for the Holga. The extra enlargement required should lead to a delectable degree on crappyness. If you go this route, let us see some of your images.

25. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :confused: Ya know, I just don't "get" this phenomenon at all. I mean, I spent years trying to learn how to NOT take crappy pictures!

26. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think the appeal is making something appealing with limited tools and turning its weaknesses into strengths.