My "J"s Won't Aggregat or My Aggregates Won't "J".

Discussion in 'Silver Gelatin Based Emulsion Making & Coating' started by wildbillbugman, May 14, 2009.

  1. wildbillbugman

    wildbillbugman Member

    Messages:
    819
    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2005
    Location:
    San Bernardi
    Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hello to All,
    Ron-I finaly got ar:Dound to testing SDA3057 and SDE3008. I am using a "workhorse" Br/I emulsion which works very well as an in-camera blue sensitive emulsion.
    I first tried adding your suggested amount of SDA3057 with no aditional I.
    Then I tried adding 0.3M of I per M of Ag, stirring for 15 minutes prior to dye adition.
    In both cases the emulsion came out magenta, not cyan.
    Any suggestions?
    Kirk and Ray- If you will privide your mailing adresses, I can now send you a small portion of these dyes. Sorry for the delay. You can PM me with the adresses for privacy. But I intend to sell the adresses to"Marketeers". Also report you to the Dept. of Homeland Securety:D.
    Regards,
    Bill
     
  2. Photo Engineer

    Photo Engineer Subscriber

    Messages:
    25,906
    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2005
    Location:
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bill;

    I will have to get back to you for the details from my notebook which is not right in front of me, but basically, Iodide always goes in first and then the dye. It is basically the formula for enlarging paper that is the basis for these experiments and the details are there in your class notes. I give the "good" dye in the data sheet, and the "bad" or aggregating dye is not mentioned in the notes as we didn't red sensitize anything.

    Remember that you are using 2x the dye level as it is forming a 2x aggregate with 2 molecules of dye, so if one dye uses 100 mg/mole, the "J" aggregate, to be effective, can require 200 mg / mole or at least more than 100 mg/mole.

    PE
     
  3. wildbillbugman

    wildbillbugman Member

    Messages:
    819
    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2005
    Location:
    San Bernardi
    Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yes Ron,
    I was writing of two separate portions of emulsion. One had just The KI present prior to emulsification. The second had Extra KI added 15 minutes prior to the dye adition. But I confess, I added only 100mg of dye per M of Ag.
    I am making another batch of emulsion now. I will double up on the dye next time.
    Thanks,
    Bill
     
  4. Photo Engineer

    Photo Engineer Subscriber

    Messages:
    25,906
    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2005
    Location:
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bill;

    I checked and it is the SDA3057 at between 100 and 200 mg/mole for 15 mins at 100 - 115 F. This converted the enlarging emulsion from green to red sensitive and of course, fogged under my red safelight as I did not expect it.

    PE
     
  5. wildbillbugman

    wildbillbugman Member

    Messages:
    819
    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2005
    Location:
    San Bernardi
    Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks PE,
    I will try this again with more SDA3057 and more heat. I was cold at 35C.
    Bill