My kingdom for a battery.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good Day,
    My cheapo rechargable AA,s finally bit the dust and I,m in the market for a new set.The local camera shop wants to sell me their high end Ansmann NiMH AA while the business supply shop has Duracells for 1/2 the price.Just thought I ask my fellow APUGers for their opinion.
    Cheers,
    Mike

2. Cassie

Cassie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    buy the duracells in a package if they run out you'll have extras

3. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess that the Duracells are non rechargeable. If yes then there is no comparison. In the long run it will cost you more than the Ansmanns.

4. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Darn,I should of added that the Duracells ARE rechargable.
    Mike

5. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know that Ansmann are very good, but Duracell are also one of the top brands. If the capacity is the same then I would probably go for them.

(Anyway, if the duracell rechargeables are as good as their standard batteries then they are great.)

Of course all this from a man that mainly uses single charge batteries :D

6. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought some 2300mAH batteries off Ebay. Made in china. Fairly cheap. 18 batteries ended up being about $30US with shipping to Canada. So far so good.

7. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike,

In what kind of device are these batteries being used? Camera? Motordrive? Flash?

The reason I ask is certain devices don't like NiMH...

8. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have had good luck with the Panasonic kits from Costco. The Energizer ones are also quite good. I would probably go with the Duracells, assuming the capacity is roughly the same.

9. panchromatic

panchromatic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i'm all about lithium batteries for anything, they last longer than NiMH and don't discharge.

10. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the Duracells are the same mAH rating I would go with them. As said, they are a decent make, but you may want to convince yourself that they ARE Duracell: lots of fakes about on the world markets (though I suspect non-rechargeables are the main target for the counterfeiters).

Bob.

11. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If there's one locally, check prices at a model airplane hobby shop. They should have a wide selection of rechargeable batteries, both drop-in AA replacement and with solder tabs, and will know a good bit about them since they're now used as primary flight power for many radio control airplanes.

If you go with NiMH, you'll need a charger that's designed for that type cell, since overcharging them will destroy them in one go (NiCd are somewhat tolerant of mild overcharge); the charger must sense voltage, look for the "peak" and completely stop, rather than drop to trickle as most older NiCd chargers will.

The other battery type you might consider if you can get one that will fit your battery compartment is lithium ion/lithium polymer -- these have almost the energy density of alkaline primary cells (2-3 times NiMH, about 5 times NiCd), but are rechargeable and much lighter than NiCd or NiMH type as well. They cost a lot, but they last as well or better than NiCd and will have a lower lifetime cost because they don't require recharging as frequently (battery life is measured in recharge cycles) and don't self-discharge (which greatly reduces recharges required for batteries used sporadically).

12. rjr

rjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ansmann is only a "private label" - they buy in bulk from a number of makers and stick their name on the cells.

You never now beforehand what you buy in that pack... it may be decent, it may be crap.

13. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

The motor for my RTS takes twelve double A's. They last along time but I'd like to find a more environmentally friendly way to do things. When you dispose of that many batteries in one shot, It makes an impression. Maybe I should try the new rechargables or a _really_ long extension cord. :smile:

14. Thomas Wagner

Thomas Wagner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Battery 101.... NiCd or Nickle Cadmium batteries are the cheapest form of rechargeble battery. But, they are a problem with equipment designed to use regular batteries as they are 1.2 V per cell as opposed to 1.5 for standard carbon cell battery. As well, they exhibit "memory". Simplified that means if they are not constantly totally discharged eventually they remember the lesser charges we give them. However, on the other hand, if you run them down flat they can be ruined too.

NiMH or nickle metal hydride batteries are/were designed to overcome the above problems. Higher voltage and supposed lack of memory effect. But,they need a different charger. Duracell makes a nice combination one.

If your unit is a high discharge device like a flash or motor drive, go to the NiMH. They are a better investment in the long run.

Now, lithium batteries (Lithium Ion to be correct) are the "cat's ass". But the cost will never justify them in normal use. They have a high discharge, good recovery rate and long time between recharge. And, they need a special charger.

Now, a really dirt cheap alternative. There are "enercell" green batteries, which are normally just alkalines that can be recharged. They are cheap, come with a charger pack to start and are direct replacements for alkalines. However, I find you will get about a year of use and recharge before they show lack of respect... I used them, because they were cheap. Dated them, and tossed them when they were a year old. But, eventually converted everything to NiMH. Personally I don't recommend them

It is all up to the amount of current that the device takes. Low current devices like light meters, radios, etc. can take just about anything. Extreme low current devices like watches used to take mercury, but environmental concerns changed that to silver halides. High current devices like flashes need the good stuff. Motor drives actually fall in the middle. And, for you digital folk, digital cameras are high current and need the good ones!

Tom

15. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm with Panchromatic, on this one. I use lithiums in everything. They last much longer, the flash recycles almost immediately, and they are impervious to cold.

Kiron Kid