My latest 35mm film (not SLR) camera purchase

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Galah, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

I know there is already a "latest SLR" purchase thread.

Well, this is a latest 35mm (non-SLR) thread.

OK, today, I risked Aus$4-00 and lashed out on a "Polaroid PZ 3000 AFD" (a plastic fantastic), at a charity shop, apparently in very good aesthetic and "mechanical" condition :smile:, with an original little velcro bag and lanyard, and a fuctioning battery (due date of 2014!:surprised:). Only time will tell if it actually functions or whether I "blew" my $4-00 (like I once did on a Pentax MZ50, recently :sad: !)

I can't seem to find any web references to this item (except for a few trying to sell if for more than Aus$4-00 :tongue:)

So, has anyone heard of it and, if so, can anyone make some comments or observations about it? (Please)

2. Robint

Robint Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well my most recent purchases at a thrift store are an Olympus stylus epic with the 35mm f2.8 for $2.50. Waiting for the batteries to arrive. An Olympus Ace E with the 45mm F2.8 for $20, waiting to get the first film back. I also picked up an Olympus XA2 with the A11 flash for $4.50. Finally I picked up a Durst M601 enlarger with the color head for $15. Whenever I visit my daughter I make the rounds of the thrift stores in the area. Yesterday I saw a Canon EOS 2A, body only for $10, was tempted but resisted. Here in my area I not found anything in the thrift stores worth buying.

3. Taslim Abdani

Taslim Abdani Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My last two purchases have been Konica Hexars AF One in black w/stealth mode and one in silver without stealth mode. I love this camera, especially for street photography.

4. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    non-slr purchase was a Canonet GIII QL17 for $2.

5. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon 35ti for $125.

6. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought a back-up Olympus XA some 15-20 years ago. Never needed it, since my original wouldn't stop working.

7. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

Oh, boy. This one is a little embarrassing. Around a month ago, I bought a Zorki 4K rangefinder with a Jupiter-8 50mm f 2.0 lens from a fellow through the APUG classified ads.

I actually had it at home and I was testing the shutter speeds on the camera tester. (Yes, the speeds did wander a bit.) I was nearly finished when the dreaded Russian Camera Shutter Lock-up happened. I am still not sure how I did this. Another knowledgeable fellow in such matters has suggested a procedure to try before I begin to dismantle the camera. When a quantity of spare time arises, I will try his procedure.

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll participate, but only if you (the moderators) hear my plea!

The thread title should read: "My most recent 35mm film (not SLR) camera purchase". Otherwise, the correct answer is something like "11:54 p.m."

Now that the pedantry is aside, my most recent purchases were ones that I gave as gifts. A nice Canon Sure Shot for my Dad, who is having trouble with seeing the focus aid in his Retina IIIc, and for my wife, a tiny little AF Yashica P & S with a zoom lens that has 28mm at the wide end (that one is always in danger of being borrowed by yours truly).

Both of these gifts were bought new, from a store that bought up the stock of another store that went under. They were both just $29.99 CDN.

The most recent 35mm film (not SLR) camera purchased by me, for me? The Retinette 1b you see in my avatar.

Matt

P.S. If you could fix the title to the "latest" SLR thread too, I would be doubly greatful :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
  9. Robint

Robint Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Olympus Stylus Epic was a bust. Installed battery & film and it just wound the film to the end. Never did fire. It was only $2.50!

10. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My most recent 35mm film (not SLR) camera purchase was a Nikon S2, from the mid '50s.

11. John Bragg

John Bragg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Just got a nice Olympus Mju II (AKA Stylus Epic) for £6.50 from Ebay.

12. Stew

Stew Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Canon Sureshot 130U for $10 on Ebay. Almost new!

13. Chaska

Chaska Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Leica IIIa from the mid 30's with a Summar.
    Loaded it first try, first negs look good!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. andrewc

andrewc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My latest non-SLR purchase was a Minolta AF-C off of ebay for $28, much less than they usually sell for. It's a little bit worn but everything seems to work well.

16. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    An XA 2, a couple of month ago, should be a lovely little camera, has to wait untill I am back in Holland, though.

17. Pompiere

Pompiere Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A Burstein Applebee BA "AUTO" EE-1 fixed lens rangefinder, for $10. 1.8, 45mm lens. Everything seems to function properly, although I haven't had a roll of film in it yet. From what little I've been able to find on the web, there weren't very many made. Probably a rebranded Taron, since the two manuals are identical except for the covers.

18. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A Zorki 4, Free from my father as he had two of them and only wanted one (for his home museum!).

Steve.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
  19. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ther last 35mm none SLR camera I bought was a Minox 35 GT about twenty years ago, I still have it and use it regularly mainly for street shooting, it has an amazing 35mm f2.8 lens that is better than the lenses an many SLRs .

20. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last one was a Minox 35 GT http://www.misa-photography.de/minox_35_gt.htm that was about twenty years ago, I carry it all the time in my pocket for street shooting mainly, the 35mm 2.8 Minotar lens is amazing, and would give a lot of SLR lenses a run for their money.

21. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry folks, I duplicated my post, please ignore the first one

22. dracblau

dracblau Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A 1958 Leidolf Wetzlar Unimark II for $15 at an antique store. It's a pain finding any information on this camera, apparently it isn't very common.

23. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Some time ago... at a yard sale:
    An Agfa Silette, non-RF, non meter, "zone focuser". Shutter works well after some exercise. Came complete with leather case (a diaster - I had to CARVE it off!), and an Alden 74 Bulk Loader containing a length of PlusX.

Total cost: $US 1.00.

ONE Dollar.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2009
  24. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a Kodak 35 at a garage sale not long ago. (Same place I bought the Yashica D from). It was only $10 and still works but I plan to put it in my collection rather than using it.

25. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought this was referring to the film itself for the longest time.

26. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a bunch of cameras today and included in the lot was a little Minox 35 GT with a 35mm 2,8 lens.

Since this camera does not fit in the SLR or Rangefinder category I figured I would revive this old thread. I had heard about this camera through the web but never thought that I would come across one especially in such good condition. The young man I bought it from had originally posted another camera on CL. I ended up buying not only that camera but also the Minox, two Konicas and several lenses and an 8mm movie camera. I had a busy day and I can't wait to put some film in this little gem and see if it lives up to it's reputation.