My new 8x20 strap!

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Jim Fitzgerald, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Well after some research and going over design ideas in my head and on paper this is what I came up with. I found out that I have a Tandy Leather store in town. So I went in to see what they had. I found a nice 6' piece of leather strap and the screw in rivets. I made the brass brackets from my stock. The idea for the brass brackest came from my Zone VI 4x5. This camera has given me several ideas lately. I took the design and cut the left over Walnut from the 8x20 and started building an 11x14! I put knurled nobs on the top of the strap bracket so if I have to change the strap in the future I can undo the nobs and have easy access. Maybe I should clean my 4x5 more often! Thanks for everyone's ideas.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  2. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I lost my post but anyways great going for using leather. I had a class in leather making in Junior High School along with metal, wood, plastics, jewelry, small engine repair, electronics and electricity shop classes. I can say that I had a special school that was heavy into technology. After all the Space Program was in full force and people who knew something and could make something were to be of value. Now the wood shop classes have been replace with how a tree grows classes.

Good going for using leather, it authentic and lasting and feels good to the touch and will get better and better with time. There used to be Tandy Leather Co. stores all over the US but now there a but a few. You are luck. BTW the best leather saddles are from Oregon.

http://www.severesaddles.com/

Curt

3. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Curt, thanks. This store is about 3 blocks from where I live. I'm glad I found it.

Jim

4. Colin Graham

Colin Graham Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Nice. I need to make a strap for mine, but I'm afraid it might not fit in my pack if I do! I like the hardware you did, very simple and clean...And wow that walnut is looking sweet Jim! So, when's it gonna be done? (rib, rib..) :smile:

5. ragc

ragc Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Nice work!

Another alternative I've used is a small leather dog collar (on 2 of my cameras). The ultimate for restoration/building is found at http://www.vandykes.com/subcategory/66/ however.

6. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Colin and everyone. I know this is taking a long time. I'm at the bellows now. This will take a while. I'll be sure to post the finished results. I can't believe how easy this strap was to do.

Jim

7. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes and it's not going to fall off either. I have heard people say, "Oh, don't pick it up by the old leather strap, it might break." Your's isn't going to break any time soon. There is a lot enjoyment in making things. It is very relaxing and keeps you thinking about what's next. Put's some fun into life. Im slowly working on two Seneca view cameras but want to get to the 11x14. I bought a screen from Dave last year and have rounded up springs, rack and pinion, the wood and hardware. I was looking for wood in dumpsters a dozen years ago when I was making odds and ends in the shop and ran across two planks of Honduras Mahogany. I will be able to make several cameras from them. Cabinet shops have scraps and most of the time give them away for free. One in town has open dumpsters and you have to compete with people picking it up for fire wood. Some is Oak, Pine, and long pieces of mouldings. I would guess that I have about $150.00 in parts for the 11x14 and that's including the expensive rack and pinion that was $100.00. The rest is not that expensive. It all comes down to time the determining factor. It takes a lot of time. That's what's called hand crafted. My first camera was a wood field camera and was made almost entirely by hand with files, hand saws and a lot of time and sweat. I was living in an Apartment and did it all on a coffee table on a board I would haul out in the evening in front of the tv or radio. At the time I was making it from only a couple of photographs from a magazine and a film holder.

Curt

8. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I bought a camera from a fellow over on the LF forum recently and the things that the strap is attached to the camera have a small slit in them. Is this normal? I need to replace the strap and one knob. I already fixed the bellows.

9. Colin Graham

Colin Graham Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Jim! Don't pay any attention to me, just a little good natured if tasteless harrassment. It is coming together very nice. That walnut I could gaze into like the brownest eyes...Great work.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007
  10. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Colin, no harm no foul!! The great thing about the 8x20 now that it is almost done and I can step back and look at it is that I made it by hand! I was trying for a semi antique look or maybe a period look with some 21st century to it also if that makes any sense. I did learn a lot from building it. I made sure I took my time, especially on the finish. I mean it takes a long time to sand to 600-800 and then diamond wet polish to 1000 grit. The hand rubbed finish is so nice when I put the stain on it. The depth of the finish is amazing. I can always use the harassment/motivation from everyone so thanks.
    Diane, If you look closely at the first picture of the brass bracket you will see the slit that the strap goes through. Check to see if it is smooth. If not you will need to file it smooth or it will slit the leather at this point I'm going to have to smooth it on my Zone VI 4x5.
    Curt, using the flatbed folding design like my Zone VI 4x5 is very interesting. It actually looks like it may be easier than the Korona/Kodak 2-D style 8x20. I have some of the rails cut and I am now sanding pieces and I find it very relaxing.I must be nuts!! It takes a while to go from 100 grit to 800 grit but when I get to the 800 and the shine comes up it is oh so nice. You can build these things in your apartment. Using thin stock has been the answer for me.Whatever works is the key. When my inspiration goes I print or go out and shoot some film. At that point it is what format? Thanks all.

JIm

11. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
  12. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Diane, I see what you mean. I made my brass parts to run the strap through out of some small sheet. They are 1 1/4" x 1 5/8" I came down from the top edge and cut a slot with my dremel about 3/8" down and about 1" wide. I then put it in a small vice and bent it up into the right position. It looks to me like you could copy the existing design. It is very easy to do if you have a dremel and a few cutoff wheels. I keep the worn cutoff wheels with a smaller diameter for slots like this. I'm still trying to figure out how to age brass to get it to look like my 20's brass I have on the camera now. If you have any more questions let me know I'll do what I can to help.

Jim

13. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Jim,
    Where did you get the knobs for your camera? The one in my link above is missing one on the rear bed on the right side. I am planning to try the local hardware store, but haven't done it yet.

Diane

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Dianne, I spent some time on E-bay searching for camera parts. I found several old Kodak parts and a partial 2-D that I used all of the metal off of. The nobs you have look to be nickle. You can try the e-bay route and look for parts. My Seneca Improved 8x10 has nickle hardware and you could look for some parts like that. I did get some brass nobs for the 8x20 front standard that Barry Young did for me and they are nice. I know Richard Ritter could do it for you also. You may have to send them a nob for comparison if you want to keep it authentic. That is a nice set up you got. Different format . Nice that you got holders and film. Did you re-do the bellows?

Jim

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried to stop myself, but I just have to ask - shouldn't it be knobs????

Matt

17. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Jim,
    I used the B&S bellows patching kit to repair the bellows. I thought I'd try that first over a full bellows replacement. I did that because I have another bellows (for an 8x10 studio camera) that is in worse shape that needs to be replaced. This camera that the link above is to is a whole plate, 6.5" x 8.5" camera.

Diane

18. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The great thing about the English language!! What the hell do we need the "k" for?? Sorry, building yes.... spelling no, not as good as I used to be!!!!

Jim

19. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For many different styles of knobs, try www.smallparts.com and McMaster-Carr

I doubt you will find nickel plated, but if you get something like brass you should be able to send it out for plating.

20. barryjyoung

barryjyoung Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hi Jim: Andrew Jackson, American President and Military genius said "I could never respect a man who could only think of one way to spell a word". We knew what you ment,,,mant,,,meent,,,um ,,intended to say.

21. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Barry, thank you for that. Sometimes I get excited and the spelling just goes down the tubes!! I appreciate it when someone points it out. I was never a great student while in school. I leave that up to my three son's. I guess that is why I'm taking so long on the bellows for the 8x20. You know it is that math thing!!!!

Jim

22. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim:

Just so you know ...

Although I have disturbing anally retentive tendencies, I wasn't complaining about your spelling. It's just that I associate "nob" with something entirely different from "knob". I posted here, but it was as much in response to another thread that was running at the same time, with a lot more "nobs" as well.

It's sort of like an itch - you can only hold back from scratching it so long!

I just wish I could do what you are doing - build or rebuild my own camera, with knobs (or even nobs) of my own choosing.

Good luck in your fine projects.

Matt

23. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt, are you of the Delta Kings?

Isn't it funny that no one said anything for such a long time? It's almost like 99.99% of us understood what Jim was saying. Despite my education I use the spell check every time because I often get it wrong, not in usage, but in plane old spelling. Get my drift.

24. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Curt:

Are there Delta Kings?

I expect that 100% of us understood what Jim was saying, but I may be wrong, especially with respect to those participants here who may be less familiar with English (just try looking up "nob" in a dictionary).

When I made my original post, I tried to make it in as light hearted a way as possible, because I wasn't complaining about spelling. I actually thought it was incorrect diction, and therefore a source of confusion, although after looking further into it, it may be that there is no word "nob" after all.

As it happens, "nob" is an acronym that means something different to me than it may mean to most, so it was one of those strange irritants that would continue to bug me if I did not respond to it.

Sort of like those threads that have either a spelling mistake or awkward word choice in the title - they keep showing up over, and over, and I notice them every time.

What can I say - I work with words all the time, and notice (and am discomforted by) these things. It is a curse :smile:.

Matt

25. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :tongue:

26. barryjyoung

barryjyoung Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    You mean discomforting things like using too many commas used incorrectly, or unnecessary parenthesis? Like in your last post?

This isn't an English forum; it is a camera making and modification forum. There are very few people who write so clearly, using perfect grammar, sentence structure and spelling that they are above reproach when it comes to their writing style.

I am curious about something. Would you rather have perfect spelling or would you rather read about making and modifying cameras? Perhaps now we can get back to camera discussion instead of the off topic banter.

Hoping I was neither circumlocutious, nor pretentious in my reiteration of the purpose of this venue.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company