My new Gossen Starlite-2

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by michael9793, Aug 13, 2010.

1. michael9793

michael9793 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I know that there is a lot of threads on these light meters, but I just wanted to give my two cents (US). I have had just about every spot meter there is out there. I have 3 now and like them all, but two are Zone VI meter and one Pentax. I was reading Black and White photography mag. from UK, (you guys know how to put a mag together), and they had a article on meters and all seem great but what got my eye was the Gossen which can be used with the Zone system. I did some further research and got very excited about the meter. Went on e-bay to find that no one had used, (I didn't know till later it was introduced two years ago.) so I went to B&H and found that the price was much higher than I thought it would be. Since I sold all my Pentax 67 and lens I have some extra money and made the commitment. This will be one of the few new items I have purchased as photo equipment goes. after a couple of days of working with it I have found that it fits my style using my 8x10 and 8x20 camera. I can easily see how my developing is going to be done and making notations easy. I know so many feel the sekonic is a better meter but I have had their best and fought all the time to translate into the Zone system. I live and die by the zone system and have for almost 40 years and change now is not going to happen. take a good look at this meter and I think you will be convinced it is the one for Large format photographers.

2. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think you'll be very happy - I was tossing up between the Starlite and the Sekonic 758DR, and went with the Sekonic for the flash triggering, but really, I would have been super happy with either. They are ace meters!!

Marc!

3. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Gossen Ultra Spot II that I saved forever to buy when I was in college, it was ungodly expensive new, like $700 12 yrs ago! It also has a built in Zone System mode, which is why I got it despite the HIGH price and extremely large size. In the end I found the zone mode cumbersome in the extreme and I just used it normally and did the zone calculations in my head.

4. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No experiences to share here, just want to broadcast my lust for this meter. Oh yes.

5. michael9793

michael9793 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have shot 10 sheets of film with the meter and it seems to be 2 stops different than
    My zone iv meter. I'm out of town today taking my 2 kids to college but plan on taking back roads home a 6-8 hour drive. I hoping for more shots to try out my meter. Problem with this whole thing, I have not developed anything from this meter so I could have a whole bunch of under exposed negatives. The good thing is I develop by inspection so I can do Inspection so increase development is not a problem. Just the shadow detail may be lost. We'll see. This is much easier to use than the sekonic by far. Much less bulky than the of meters I have. Mike