My new (old) Deardorff is here!

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bmac, Jun 4, 2004.

1. bmac

bmac Member

Holy Smokes! The Deardorff arrived today. I am a kid in a candy store, too bad I'm at work and won't be able to play with it until tomorrow :sad:

It truly is a quality camera. The build quality is really good, and although it has seen some serious use, I think it will be just fine after a little elbow grease / TLC.

Can't wait to mount my G-Clarons onto boards and go out and shoot with it.

Brian

2. George Losse

George Losse Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Brian,

I remember the day my first 8x10 arrived. I had a smile on my face that just wouldn't stop. It was a very long two weeks for me before I had the first lens mounted and ready to go.

Congrats and enjoy.

Looking forward to seeing the work you and your new friend will make together.

3. Deniz

Deniz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    with that great deal you got on the Dorff you must be stoked!!

I should get out more often.. lately my life has bee npretty hectic so i'll be photographing more often now on...

4. bmac

bmac Member

The Bellows look pretty good. I think they'll last me a while, although my anal side will force me to replace it eventually. :smile: I made some temp lensboards out of Pergo flooring :smile: They aren't goign to warp, but I will eventually make some out of the proper wood. Can't wait!

5. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Whoo...Hooo... Brian!! :D

The feeling of anticipation, I know it well :tongue:

My Zone VI 4x5 outfit is scheduled to be delivered on Monday and my Wisner Convertible Plasmat Lens set is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. :rolleyes:

I'm off work Monday so it would have been nice for both of them to show up then.

'Oh well, I start vacation on the 12th so I'll have a week to play with it.

Good luck and have fun with your Deardorff!

Jim

6. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well this must be my lucky day.. When I got home from work my Zone VI 4x5 outfit was delivered today!

Jim

7. bmac

bmac Member

Sweet! I'm glad this place isn't like the classic car club I used to belong to. Every time a member bought a new car, they had to pay the year in pennies (a 1930 car would cost $19.30) With the rate that members are buying cameras these days, APUG would have to report quarterly earnings to the SEC :smile:)

8. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Congrats Brian. I got my 'Dorf last winter. The weather was bad for the first two weeks I had it and I was dying. The weather broke one Sunday late afternoon and I dashed out to bag a shot before the sun started getting low.

Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

9. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Congrats to all. I just got my 5x7 Grover today - it looks pretty cool. It must be Christmas all over the world!

10. Mateo

Mateo Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hey if you get too lazy to make proper lensboards, Camerawest in Monterey has some used factory boards for Deardorf.

11. bmac

bmac Member

Thanks for the tip, I've been wanting to stop by that shop for a while now.

12. David R Munson

David R Munson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Are you going to refinish the wood? If so, I might have some words of wisdom for you from when I refinished and generally overhauled mine.

13. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Brian, the best thing I ever bought for the 'dorff was the 6X6 to 4X4 adapter for the front so I can use lenses on both cameras. (4X5 Special and Zone VI) Second best thing is the Packard shutter adapter so I can play with different lenses in barrel.

14. bmac

bmac Member

I'm actually looking for one of the adapters, since my 4x5 takes 4x4 lensboards. If I can't find a good one soon, I'll just make one.

Brian