My new print rack

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by dphphoto, Jun 20, 2006.

1. dphphoto

dphphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple of weeks ago, I started a thread about building a print rack. I didn't get any specific plans from anyone, but I got a ton of good suggestions. Most importantly, I got the idea that this is a very do-able project. I said I'd post a picture if I was able to make something half way decent.
    And I did it. I kinda pieced it together as I went along (pun intended). It took a few trips to Home Depot, a few hours after work through the week, then about 8 hours over last weekend. I used cheap white pine, which is almost guaranteed to be warped, and nothing quite lines up right. But it's good enough for the purpose.
    It'll hold 12 Zone VI drying screens. I have eight now, and plan to order four more. The only "mistake" I made was using 1X4 for the shelves. Home Depot didn't have any 1X2 last time I went there.
    I've never tried to pose a picture in a thread before. Hope it gets in there.
    Thanks again to everyone for their great ideas. Dean

Attached Files:

2. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Looks good to me , you may need to sandwich the prints between the screens so maybe a little more space between the spacers.
    This will let the air flow more freely over the top and bottom of the prints

3. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice work. It looks like you have a lot of spare place to dry your prints.

Personally, I don't like drying fiber prints on screens, I tape them on glass place that are stacked under my enlarger table.

G

4. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    You may also consider making your own screens. They are quite inexpensive and easy to do. You can get help from the folks at the Home Depot type places.

5. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks great, my drying screens are made from bread trays with screening stapled to them and laid all over the darkroom when I have lots of prints to dry. I need something like this.

6. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use inexpensive canvas stretcher strips ordered from Dick Blick, with plastic screen from the hardware store stretched and stapled over the glued up frames. Then I glue a 1" or so square block of wood to each corner of the frame, allowing me to stack them up on each other while providing air spaces between.

7. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use screens from work. We used to sell windows, they would come in broken at times, pity. Credits were issued and things were thrown away. Anywhere from small bathroom size to sliding patio doors were available. Too bad we stopped selling them. Try a window shop in your town and see if they have "exta" screens left from window orders or damage stuff. tim

8. dphphoto

dphphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I could give a few more particulars. I've got the screens spaced about 2 inches apart, so there should be plenty of room for air movement. I finished the wood with Minwax oak stain, the kind with polyurethane, so the wood should be reasonably resistant to any water spill.
    I ordered 4 more Zone VI screens from Calumet, so I'll have 12 total. Should be enough, but I've got enough room at the bottom to add more shelves, if necessary, in the future. But...I like the ideas on making screens and on getting them cheap. Dean

9. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That is a great idea and could work with my bread tray drying screens. thanks

10. worldbmd

worldbmd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Very nice, my rack is much smaller and can only hold approx ten 8x10's (or equiv) but also is all enclosed, features a fan to draw air down air through filters over the prints. It also features a lamp towarm the air in order to help dry the prints should I need them dry in a quick amount of time. I like your rack because its larger, thus eliminating theneed for rapid drying to make more space, nice work, looks good!

11. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very nice rack and much more efficient use of space than mine. For dryers I use two patio screen doors laid across chairs. I found them both for $5 at my neighborhood Lowe's home improvement store. The were damaged slightly - one has weather stripping pulling out and the other has a small hole punched in the screen.
    juan

12. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I also am not a fan of screen drying. Big reason is they
    do not dry flat. I stack dry also but use ventilation grade
    corrugated board and hydrophobic blotter material. All
    alternate with the prints. Dry, Flat, prints. Dan

13. hortense

hortense Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ventilation

Great idea - but enough ventilation? My drying racks (fold/down);
    8 inches.
    You and FirePhoto - I'll try closer spacing.

14. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Unless you're in a real hurry, yes there seems to be enough ventilation. I leave them to dry overnight and by the next morning they are usually dry. I have a small HEPA filter in the darkroom for general dust control and that I also use to dry negatives. I have thought about directing that air through the stack, which would speed things up, but I'm not sure its necessary.