My new site - any thoughts welcome

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by ndlshootsfilm, Nov 24, 2009.

1. ndlshootsfilm

ndlshootsfilm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello all, I've just started my small place on the web. It's quite basic, and needs content and more work added. My web building skills need work as well, I made the design as simple as I could.

www.michaelsalomon.net

and please disregard the purchase link - I realize that apug frowns upon hybrid stuff - my work constitutes both wet and devil prints (inkjet) I'm just not set up to offer darkroom work yet and i'm working out all the details. please bear that in mind and thank you for your time.

if anyone would rather me post this at hybrid, let me know and I'll delete and apologies for the troubles.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2009
  2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks good, nice work too.

There is a hint of Bill Schwab's website in it.

3. Scott_Sheppard

Scott_Sheppard Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Michael:

I think its GREAT.. VERY CLEAN - Simple and just GREAT !!

Myself I am very happy that your are shooting on film and if your workflow from there is hybrid then GREAT.

Very nice photos and a very clean site - NO FLASH BS... Just good clean work !!

Thanks

Scott

4. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simple design, easy to navigate, but the large "thumbnails" take a very long time to load on my dsl connection. I also kept clicking on them because I wanted to see them bigger.

5. ndlshootsfilm

ndlshootsfilm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Scott and david thank you both for your time. David - You are right, Bill SChwab is a
    big influence on me, but the similarities are not intentional (I mean web styles, not putting myself in the same category) I just have poor dreamweaver skills. When I learn more, I'll be making the site more my own style. Thanks again.

6. ndlshootsfilm

ndlshootsfilm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    wildbill - thank you for looking, you are right about the thumbnails, i'm working on that.

7. dbonamo

dbonamo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey Michael,

Site is excellent so is your work. As others have said, simple, clean and easy to navigate....

8. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Michael, I think the work is very beautiful. I'm glad you're working on the thumbnails because work that nice would be great to see a bit bigger.
    Really nicely done.

9. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can only add what others have already said -- the only dischordant note is that I assumed a bigger version of these wonderful images could be seen by clicking on them...alas, no.

I'd add that, really. As thumbnails, it's actually pretty cool to see them this size -- it would just be really REALLY cool to see them larger. After all, you did make high-res scans of them, as you said in your "About" section.

The layout is really clean and simple, which I also just love.

10. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stylish website, great pictures.

11. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I quite like it, though a flash gallery would make it even better, in my opinion.

12. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Nice, clean, simple. Clear text without any fussy background. Only one minor hiccup to report - monochrome4.html has a "NEXT" at the bottom of the page... As this is the last page of the set, you might want to remove it like you did with color2.html.

When your body of work grows to a point where static HTML becomes difficult to manage, keep well away from flash technology - Not everyone has flash installed.

13. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simple and clean is right. Not any clutter at all. Photographs a little slow to load but WELL WORTH THE WAIT. Great site, Michael.

14. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is just my personal take.... I never really liked "Click here to enter" type initial page. I'd prefer there are little more on the first page than needing to take additional step to actually enter your page. I really like some of your images. An only problem is, the size of the pictures aren't big enough to really evaluate if I like them enough to purchase one. Perhaps you could allow visitors to see a little larger picture when clicked? I think it'd be important if you are trying to market your product.

Again, this is *just* my personal take. Yours and other people's opinion will definitely vary....

15. ndlshootsfilm

ndlshootsfilm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you to everyone for taking the time to look at my site and comment. I'll be fixing my gallery soon to include larger images and quicker loading thumbnails.

Thanks again,
    Mike