My next lens

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by eheldreth, Sep 13, 2004.

1. eheldreth

eheldreth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just finished a week with around $450.00 in over time. And I want to buy a new lens. I have a Nikon N80 and currently only have two lenses a 28-80 and a 70-300. I would like your suggestions on what a next good lens would be(Well as good as it gets for $450).

Just some background on what and why I shoot. I love to backpack, and thats the reason I bought my first camera. So I enjoy landscapes, and wildlife. I have reacently been considering doing some macro photography however. I am realy torn between a macro lens and a wide angle lens. I shoot mostly B&W(Ilford delta 100/400) and do my own developing and printing.

Thanks for your advise and this great site.

2. rogueish

rogueish Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tamron received Lens of the year award last year for a 70-300 Macro lens.
    Since you already have a 70 -300, maybe pick up the Macro filters (x1 x2 x3) I believe they may come as a set. Then you can spend your money on a bigger lens (a 500 or larger perhaps :cool: )

3. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depending on what you want to shoot you have a few alternaives:

If you like macro photogrpahy I'd reccomend a 105-micro nikkor o a tamron 90mm 1:1

Wide angle: a 20mm Nikkor or a 28mm Nikkor are great

4. sparx

sparx Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For wildlife shots perhaps a longer zoom or a prime lens of about 600mm, if you can find one for your budget. Or for the landscapes how about a good quality prime 28mm. It will almost definitely be faster than your zoom, will be lighter as well.
    Or how about a lightweight tripod?

5. eheldreth

eheldreth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I have narrowed it down to the following three choices.

62mm Close-up Kit (+1, +2, +4) for my 70-300
    Nikon Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens(Fast lens plus its a prime)
    with either
    Nikon Wide Angle AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Autofocus Lens
    or
    Nikon Wide Angle AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Autofocus Lens

or I could blow the budget on one lens
    Nikon Super Wide Angle AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Autofocus Lens

6. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you get the 50mm/1.4?

7. joeyk49

joeyk49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I, similarly, had a 35-80 and an 80-210 zoom for my minolta. I opted for the wide angle because the zooms were sometimes excluding things yhat I wanted in my shots.

The WA's let you get nice and close for details without excluding alot form the shot. You pay for it with distortion, but what the heck, there's a price for everything.

8. joeyk49

joeyk49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But I also just picked up a 500mm reflector....just cause.

9. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    While I do primarily LF these days, I also have an N80. If you are going to do a lot of backpacking and hiking, I would suggest something more along the lines of an ultra-wide angle lens or zoom. I have a Sigma 17-35 which I have found to be a great lens (I use it for > 90% of 35mm stuff). The lens is very sharp. You just need to be careful of the large filter size - 82mm.

10. eheldreth

eheldreth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never used anything lower than a 1.8 and I'm curious, how much of a diffrence is there between 1.8 and 1.4.

11. KeesDeBruin

KeesDeBruin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The new EX HSM version of this lens uses a 77mm filter size. I've used it on my trip to Africa and I'm very pleased with the results with a F75 and standard ISO200 Fuji Superia film.

12. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Less than a stop and, in my opinion, nowhere near enough to justify the price difference. Also, some lens tests have put the f1.8 as sharper than the f1.4 (although you'd need keen eyes to spot it).

I agonised over the same thing a couple of years ago, went with f1.8 and it hasn't disappointed me. Maybe consider putting the surplus into a set of extension tubes for close-up work (no additional glass to interfere with your existing optics, there's a 3rd-party manufacturer that does them with AF so your N80 will still TTL meter through them) or look at chopping in the 28-80 for a 28-105 (better optics, useful range and a semi-macro facility).

You might also want to ask around here http://www.nikonians.org

13. eheldreth

eheldreth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks FrankB
    I think I'll go with the 24mm, I like the idea of having something a little wider than my 28-80 and a couple primes.

As for the extension tubes. I have looked at them(I believe they where from kenko and they did support AF) but wondered if the added weight could harm the camera.

14. mark

mark Member

You will not be disappointed with your 24mm. I really liked mine until murphy had his way with it. You should have some money left over for film too. The weight of the extension tubes will not be a bother since you will not have them on all the time. When you buy them make sure they mount and work on the camera. In other words buy from a reputable source. I still have a set that are not for nikon mount no matter what the A***oles at cambridge camera said after I sent them back to them for the third time, even the box said Pentax.