My NYC Trip-Finds & Experiences

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by JMC1969, Jun 28, 2011.

1. JMC1969

JMC1969 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a follow up thread from a question I posted i a few weeks ago found here;
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/92575-adorama-b-h-worth-checking-out-person-3.html

I posted this reply at the end, but wanted to get some other feedback on the camera I found and the experience I had with the camera store.

So I am not in search of a front plate front for the Ernemann or a cheap, for parts, second camera I can strip from. I have read up a bit on the company and I'm very excited about getting this into user shape.

I would also like to hear from anyone that may have experience with the backpack I mentioned. http://www.adorama.com/CEKBLTPBK.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=cj_4169948 Is it as useful as I think it might be? I am now thinking about it's use with my Meridian 45B.

I really can't wait to return, the trip was just far too short.

2. billbretz

billbretz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a lifelong Bridge-and-Tunneler myself, but I know some folks in the outer boroughs might not like the suggestion they are not in the "city"!

Hope you do get back soon, just spent a day+ in the city myself and saw only a fraction of what I'd like to, though of course I spent more than I hoped.

3. JMC1969

JMC1969 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I certainly do not mean to upset anyone with the comment. Personally I found Brooklyn to be awesome and have been fantasying about living there since I returned home. Quite frankly, if I was dropped off in Williamsburg, Soho, Tribeca or Greenwich village it would take a few landmarks to tell you which one I was in. I use these as examples because they are areas I visited in this trip. I certainly enjoy the small shops over the BIG towering stores. It feels more personable and filled with a mix of locals and not (me).

4. billbretz

billbretz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    JMC1969- Don't worry, I was sort of kidding. I don't think anyone took literal offense.

5. chassis

chassis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was in NYC a couple of weeks after you, and made my first visit to B&H. It seems like a very good establishment, but the film camera and darkroom departments were not as deeply merchandised as I would have hoped. There was some 'blad and Mamiya MF stuff there, but almost no large format. The darkroom department had lots of gadgets, some chemistry and paper, but no enlargers.

Not criticizing, because they need to go where their business needs them to go, which today is digital. I think I was 15 years late in my visit! :wink:

6. c.d.ewen

c.d.ewen Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Growing up in Brooklyn (Park Slope) 60 years ago, we always felt insulted if someone referred to us as "city" people. The City was Manhattan. Period.

There was always a lingering resentment amongst Brooklynites for having our independence taken away when the various areas around Manhattan were joined into one political entity. What the heck - we had our own baseball team, you know :wink: Some might say we had our own language.

Charley