My Sinar F2 + Horseman 6x9 film back incompatible?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by sperera, Jan 29, 2010.

1. sperera

sperera Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A friend of mine gave me his Horseman 6x9 film back and there's no way i see that it works with my Sinar F2....any ideas? the Sinar F2 is supposed to handle all standard film backs.....can anyone let me know what im doing wrong if it DOES indeed fit...

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think there are Horseman backs designed to fit 2x3" Graflok backs, and there are Horseman backs designed for 4x5" Graflok/International backs like the Sinar. Do you have a 2x3" back, or is it that you don't see how to remove the groundglass panel and attach the rollfilm holder?

3. Dave Dawson

Dave Dawson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That would depend if the 6x9 back is designed to fit a 6x9 or a 5x4 camera.....My 6x7 Wista film back works fine on my Sinar C.

Cheers Dave

4. sperera

sperera Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I CAN REMOVE THE GROUNDGLASS PANEL but the size is different....the size of the opening to the belows is wider....i just dont see where it can fit in.....

surely i dont have to remove the ground glass itself but rather the whole thing that has the spring-loading and holds the ground glass where you slide the normal 5x4 film holders

5. sperera

sperera Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hey Dave, my Sinar F2 is a 5x4 camera....

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds exactly as David describes, and that you have a 6x9 back for a 6x9 camera. The back plate is on the 5x4 fit roll film backs is much wider & bit longer.

Ian

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    To remove the groundglass back, you push the two ridged silver buttons on the top and bottom of the groundglass frame (oriented horizontally) and slide off the whole groundglass assembly from the back. Then you should be looking at the surface in the back that a normal 4x5" filmholder would rest against. At the top and bottom of the back there are black slides that hold rollfilm holders and other Graflok-type accessories in place. If the rollfilm holder is too small to fit this back, then you have a 6x9 back designed for a 2x3" camera, and it won't fit a 4x5" camera, unless it has a 2x3" reducing back, which is an unusual accessory (though I happen to have one for Linhof).

8. sperera

sperera Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    HA so easy im now embarrased......thanks David, you explained it perfectly!!!!!! :tongue:

9. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format