My Walnut 14x17 is under construction!

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Jim Fitzgerald, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Well, I finally got some images of the build of the 14x17. My friend and partner in crime on this project, Matt Blais was nice enough to take some pic's of the work in progress. Over all it will have 48" of usable bellows and I'm hoping to come in around 20lbs. or so? Yes the is yours truly inside! You can tell we are having fun! This is my third camera build and I learned that you need to have fun with these things.

Jim

Attached Files:

2. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking good my friend.

3. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I cringe to think of the film cost.

4. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I Cringe To Think Of The Cost Of A Digital Back, for that BadBoy !

I'm Just Saying ...

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks great! Love your APUG shirt.

Jeff

6. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shopsmith Jim? I thought you made these sitting on the floor with your legs crossed and using Japanese chisels and handsaws.

Is the design the same as your 11X14 camera? After seeing these pictures I'm getting infected again with the urge to make that 11X14. Have you decided on any r&p for focus and or movements yet? I must admit that the Walnut looks great, when finished it is going to be beautiful looking. Nice work Jim,

Curt

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
  7. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The design of this camera is a cross between a Korona and Flomer & Schwing. The extension without the rail is 28". I have not cut the slots for the rack & pinion yet. Doing some finish work on the front base as we speak. I decided to have Matt help me with the design and construction and he has a great Shopsmith that we are using. I wanted the joints perfect on this camera as it is HUGE! I have 9x9 lens boards for it. I'm going to take it out in the field to shoot with and use it in the studio. As far as film goes..... I have been shooting x-ray film for some time now and now how to use it to get the results I want. $90.00 for a box of 100 sheets! Do the math, it is a no brainier as to film.

Jim

8. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Nice looking camera Jim.

I wouldn't blame the shopsmith for good joints. I think that's a little like saying the camera makes the image. You guys need to give yourself a little credit. :wink:

9. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks nice! What will you be using for a 14x17 back? Gonna get a 14x17 film holder and build something to suit? I'm interested in the xray film shooting hobby as well. I'm thinking about building some sort of extensionbox/conversion back for my 8x10 wooden studio camera after I get it's restoration done.

10. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awesome! Carbon prints will look fantastic on this.

Best of luck Jim.

11. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have two walnut S&S holders one of which I'll use as a guide for building the back and GG holder. Have the wood for everything and we will tackle that on our next go around. Doing some finish work now on the front standard.
    Yes, can't wait to do some 14x17 carbon prints!

Jim

12. Gim

Gim Subscriber

Jim, after seeing the excellent build on your camera at Joshua Tree, this will be beautiful. I admire your attitude.

Best,
    Jim

13. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim, have you snagged a bellow yet or do you plan to make one yourself? I'd love to hear about the cost of one if you are going to get one made, I think you know were I'm coming from with that question. Vaughn suggested getting a point and shoot for large format but I think I can make an 11x14 on the lighter side with limited movements and use a cart when necessary. One question about the film holders, are two the limit or do you plan to add more, I need to check on a couple of 11x14 holders. Having made a 4X5 Cherry back I see no problem with the back which is often regarded as "hard". Again, your build looks great right now.

Curt

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks, everyone. I'm going to have Custom Bellows build the bellows for me. To much work for me to do. I know my limits. My specialty is in finish and in building to some degree. I have had the experience of building an 8x20 and 11x14 but even so there are always challenges when building cameras. I do not rush things and for this one I decided to get some help and use Matts Shopsmith. Building the back is next on the list. I'm using my 11x14 Deardorff back as a guide. Hand polishing the front base right now and it looks sweet!

Jim

16. mhcfires

mhcfires Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks like that camera will be a beauty, but I keep wondering how long it will take you to get the urge for a 20 x 24. Thanks for the progress photos, I really enjoy seeing the fruits of your labor.

17. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have been asked that question many times. If they made x-ray film in 20x24 then I would consider building one. At over 600.00 a box I'm not interested in 20x24 unless I win the lottery! I can get x-ray film in 14x17 that will work just fine for my carbon transfer work.

Jim

18. jon.oman

jon.oman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice looking camera Jim!

I have a question about the x-ray film. Do you strip off the emulsion from the back of the film? Or, doesn't it matter?

19. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I don't mess with stripping off the back of the x-ray film. I print carbon transfer and the x-ray negatives that I develop in Pyrocat-HD for 7 minutes give me a great density range and some very nice prints so I see no need for the extra work. BTW, I got a lot of the rough sanding and some of the finish sanding done and now it is time to wet sand and polish several parts.

Jim

20. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim, what about the hardware, jewelry for that beautiful work of art? Is the HD 1:1:100? I've got my 8x10 x-ray film to give a go on and a new HD set. When the domestic work is done I'm firing up the pellet stove and getting on to the 11x14, I was feeling burned out physically after the three week auto tour of the Southwest, now I feel ready to begin again. It was really nice to see some of the people from former workshops and of course Per, I love to take with him, not enough time in one lifetime is there. Anyway, you are going to have a fantastic camera that is a work of art in itself.

Curt

21. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Curt, thanks. I have some antique nobs that I found and the rest of the brass I'll cut myself. I've got most of it together but like my other cameras you keep going to the hardware store over and over.
    I use the 1:1:100 Pyrocat-HD for my x-ray film and like I said it gives me what I need for my carbon printing. I use it for my tissue support also. I know the feeling about being burnt out. I still have negatives from my trip to the Redwoods and Zion to develop. I need to get those done as I have workshops to teach the next two weekends. I can't wait to finish this camera. It will be big but beautiful and the best way to do these projects is to take your time and do it right.

Jim

22. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Peraps a 35mm adaptor to take 1" x 17" panoramic shots. You might get two to a roll.

Steve.

23. jon.oman

jon.oman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim, that's good to know. Thanks!

24. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Jon, no problem. That does have me thinking though. Could it make better prints? I'd have to test it out but I'm happy with the results that I have now. Maybe after all of the camera building and trips and teaching is done. Some time next year... I think.

Jim

25. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Did the finish work on the back box and front standard. Polished the Walnut to 1500 grit! Made some of the brass parts that I need and figured out the geared rise on the front lens board. Need to get some longer bolts so I can get the front swing in order. It is starting to come together. Need to figure out the front bellows frame and see about getting the bellows ordered.

Jim

26. jon.oman

jon.oman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim,

How do you mount the bellows to the frame? On the inside, or the outside? Staples and glue? Then, how is the bellows frame mounted to the front standard? I assume that it is screwed into the standard so that the screws do not go through the bellows material?

Jon