My XA light seals are crumbling

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Markok765, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    But I don't see any light leaks on my photos, should I continue to use this camera?

2. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get a seal kit from Interslice on e*ay. Replace the seals. It is easy.

3. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do they have XA specific kits or will I have to cut my own foam?

4. Carlb

Carlb Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The kits contain strips of material for the seals. You just cut them to length and either push them or stick them into place. It's dead easy to do - if I can do it without making a complete mess of things then I'm sure anyone can. John supplies very good instructions with his kits

5. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They are all still there, but in bad condition. Would you say I can still use the XA while waiting for the light seals to come? I did a light test but I have to finish the film first to develop it. I'm going the interslice route.

6. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Use it as long as it's not leaking. You can try to keep the camera out of direct sunlight and in a bag when your are not using it.

I also recommend interslice. I bought his small kit and have done a handful of cameras with it.

7. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well I was reading you can seal with strands of wool, and IIRC some camera manufacturers did use some sort of fibres. Well when you come to think of it, what did they use before "plastic" foam was invented.

http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00SVtt

8. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    European camera makers designed their backs so that they would block light without the need for other materials.

Some camera makers used yarn as a light blocking material for the top deck.

In general, you'll rarely find a European camera with foam. Even today, you can count on one hand the number of German cameras that use foam to block light.

Japanese camera makers began to use foam in the 1960s.

The most difficult part of old foam is removing it. If it's beginning to crumble, I would stop using the camera until you can get it replaced. The reason is that you don't want any chunks or tiny pieces to get into the mechanisms.

9. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hiya Marko,
    Just order the kit and do it yourself. Mr. Goodman provides instructions online for certain cameras - the XA series amongst them. It's a very easy job to do 'coz I just re-sealed my XA2 a few weeks back. Regards, B.