Mysterious film?? Arista/Ilford??

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by gorbas, Feb 2, 2012.

1. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Hi Guys,
    recently I bought some 125ASA Mysterious 120 film. No expiry date, no manufacturer, other than "made in England".
    Any idea is it Ilford film sold under Arista brand?? How long ago they stop selling rebranded Ilford?
    I processed two rolls in HC110 and there is some base fog.
    Film is for my 16 year old son project and he is going to "burn it" in Holga.
    Thank you in advance!
    IMG_1571.jpg

2. Mark Crabtree

Mark Crabtree Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Maybe Ultrafine. Many of us assume it was made by Ilford, but Ilford denies that. Seemed the same (at least in large format) as the made in England stuff Freestyle sold at that time.

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There aren't too many ISO 125 films made in England. In fact, I can only think of one!

Steve.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Plus-X was made in the UK from it's introduction with Tri-X in 1939 (sheet film only until after WWII), not sure what date production stopped.

Ian

5. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    16 years ago, or so Freestyle was selling something they called "England's Finest", which was certainly FP-4. Came in a simple white pack. I shot a ton of it, it was very inexpensive.

6. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Well, for sure it was produced after 1939! :smile:) Wrappers for it look dry and tired, even film was stored in big bulk cardboard box (most likely for 100 rolls). Previous owner did not keep it in fridge, at least for last few years and he wasn't able to tell me more about it. Did Kentmere produced films before being bought by Ilford. I have seen only their papers in '90s?

7. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Hi Erikg, it had similar package as one on the picture??

8. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No Kentmere films in the modern era until post Harmon. That box does sound like the way I got the stuff from Freestyle. Any edge printing?

Just saw your post: yes it did have a similar package, to the best of my memory.

9. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The foil wrapper of your film has a "look" (bold black-on-white printing, and style of lettering?) of the old pre-Harman Ilford branding.
    Kentmere hasn't produced film (unless it produced something way back in the 1930's? There were a few small UK manufacturers up to, maybe, the 1960's, but not recently enough to use the heat-sealed foil wrapper.

10. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have no idea as to what your film is or how old but when I started using Ilford MF film a number (?) of years ago the gummed paper at the end of the roll to keep it closed was mint flavored. If your film has that feature it's probably a clue.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

11. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Thank you guys!
    Erikg, no edge printing on film at all. Very strange!
    Any how, my son will have blast with it! What else is better in the world than free film & processing!?
    A very good opportunity to re-roll some of it to 620 for use in his Brownie collection.

12. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doesn't look like ultrafine. And only Ultrafine Extremes are Ilford. Not all Ultrafine.

13. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    The last time I talked with customer service from Ultrafine, year or so ago, they 'suggested" that their current film is manufactured in Asia and not produced by Fuji. Do I feel-Lucky??

14. Mark Crabtree

Mark Crabtree Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, the made in England Ultrafine was quite some time ago. Maybe 10 years. It sure seemed like they and Freestyle had a working relationship at the time, but it may have been a coincidence that they had what were apparently the same products (a variety of made in England film and paper) at the same time. I always assumed that of them bought master rolls from whoever the mystery supplier was, then slit and packaged for the other company. I assume the 120 came into the states already packaged anyway though.

Either way, it was nice film. The 400 didn't age well past the expiration date, but the 125 should hold up much better.

The way one of the sellers of this stuff (who will go unnamed) put it was that this film had nothing to do with a "Sick Chevy" :smile:

15. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I often bought the Arista English Professional film, when it was current, and would also buy the occasional roll of the ilford brand at the same time to compare. the Arista (and England's finest) did not have any edge print on the brand side, but in 35mm had numbering which was the same as ILFORD was using at the time, both the Arista and the Ilford had the same shade of Yellow backing paper and the same pint pattern, (other that the Arista did not show the brand name). Freestyle had an agreement where they were not allowed to to identify the maker.

When Ilford reorganized they announced that they would no longer sell pribvate label film and the arista made in England disappeared at the same time. I think you can assume that you are dealing with 10- 15 year old (at least) FP4 - or a very good replica.

16. snederhiser

snederhiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    Looks to be Plus-x 125, believe that Kodak produced film there. Looks to be from the late 60's to early 80's. Was sold to the low end of the market at the time, about a buck a roll if memory serves me, Steven.

17. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not strictly true what they actually said was they wouldn't sell any of their own product range as rebranded items. They've still made materials for other companies since the reorganisation, Adox (Fotoimpex), Bergger etc but these aren't identical to products sold under the Ilford brand name.

Ian