mysterious lines in print

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by davido, Feb 11, 2011.

1. davido

davido Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Has anyone else ever come across this strange phenomenon of parallel lines throughout a print? I've recently seen this in a friends finished print, they are very obvious in consistent tone areas (skies).
    They are about 1/4 inch apart. I'm guessing it's defective paper.
    I don't know what type of paper it was.

david

2. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What does the negative look like?

3. davido

davido Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don't have the opportunity to look at the negative at this time, but I have seen prints made from the same negative before and they do not have these lines.

david

4. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you see lines which travel parallel to the direction of film travel in the camera, check the pressure plate and film gate for dirt and/or burrs.

If you are using a type of film that comes in a cartridge (35mm) check the lips of the magazine for dust, dirt and burrs.

While we're on the subject, this wouldn't be a bad time to clean the whole film path of your camera... An ounce of prevention, don'cha know! :wink:

5. davido

davido Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Randy, This print is from a large format type 55 polaroid negative. So, it's not scratch marks from the movement of the film. Plus, these are completely symmetrical lines.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They could be pressure scratches grit /dirt in the rollers of the film holder, they would be parallel.

Ian

7. marco.taje

marco.taje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It just comes to me... A good test would be printing the same negative tilted 90 degrees on a sheet from the same box of paper..

8. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As pointed out in an earlier post, the OP is about a print. In fact it is about more than one print from the same negative. One does not have the lines and the other one does. (Post #1 and post #3)

Something is bad in the print with lines. It could be bad paper or a stuck roller in a roller transport processor. It is hard to say, but Marco has a thought here to test if it is bad paper.

PE

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Slight scratches to negatives can occur during storage if there's grit/dirt present in the neg sleeves, in addition a slight surface scratch (non emulsion side) may show when printed with a condenser enlarger but not with a cold light source or colour (diffuser) head.

Ian

10. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you absolutely sure this friend of yours isn't making d*****l prints from scans of his type 55 negatives, instead of doing analog printing in a darkroom? It all sounds to me like those familiar problems you continuously have with clogged nozzles on d*****l printers.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2011
  11. PVia

PVia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reflections from the paper guides in an easel, if the paper stock is single weight and the easel baseboard is not yellow or black...? I don't know, but thought I'd mention, you never know.

12. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I didn't know that from what you first said but, yes, that would eliminate camera problems.

You might be right. It could be a problem with the paper or in processing/handling the paper.

Has the negative been checked for damage?

I agree with the idea of turning the paper and/or the negative at to another angle as a good process of elimination.

13. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if the rollers in a dry-to-dry print ( like an extamatic / xray ) processor are dirty, they can make lines across the print just like you describe ... the same way dirty rollers in a polo back can make lines on a sheet of film ..