Mystery 127 Film

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Fixcinater, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Any ideas what this film is? I got a weird little camera along with a Polaroid SLR 680 here recently, and along with a bunch of spiders and their eggs, there was this roll of 127.

Contrary to what my profile details may claim, I'm no 127 format expert so I would be much obliged if y'all had any idea what this was and how long I should soak it in HC110.

Oh yeah, the third/fourth image attached is the camera it came in. Should be fun to see what's on the roll. if anything.

Attached Files:

2. nateo200

nateo200 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow my aunt found a very similar camera...I havent had time to inspect it but good to see at least one other exists....but eww spiders and spider eggs...lol

3. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    By the backing paper it looks like VerichromePan

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would be really surprised - there is no Kodak insignia or film type indicator on it anywhere, and I don't think I have every observed that with Kodak film.

5. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try to develop the negative, maybe there are some interested photos there :smile:.

6. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Actually I already have a few rolls of it, I actually use it to reroll for the special HP5+ for re-rolling, so I've seen the paper but I can't exactly on roll it much to show you because there's film inside...

But mine doesn't say kodak either...

But it certainly came from a VerichromePan roll (there's even an image shot with the original film in my gallery, I believe it's of lettuce or a garden in my back yard).

But here's my roll...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397404540.166951.jpg

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So do I assume correctly that you are seeing edge printing that tells you it is Verichrome Pan, but there is no printing on the backing paper that identifies it?

If so, I'm guessing that someone has re-rolled that film.

Is there edge printing on both sides of the film? If not, I'm wondering if the film started out as 120, and was cut down.

There may once have been 46mm Verichrome Pan in long rolls. If so, maybe that is where your film came from.

What are the edge numbers like - do they progress normally from 1 - 12?

8. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I think you are a little confused, you can still purchase old boxes of their Verichrome Pan 127 Film...

The role you are seeing is a role that I originally purchased and opened from the box directly on out before I opened it. It was most certainly VerichromePan...

I actually have one more box left to shoot.

But the picture I posted is a picture of the role that originally was VerichromePan, but after shooting the original roll, I rerolled some 46mm HP5+ that was in a bulk roll... That's all, so I can unroll the entire piece of paper to show you the entire thing because there is film inside that is waiting to be shot...

Anyway it is possible of course that there were other backing papers that had the same exact color with the silver ink, but I'm pretty sure that kodak used different backing papers for different films, and that the OP's roll is VerichromePan...

9. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Oh and about the edge numbers, there are two different sets of numbers there are three numbers in a row in the center depending on which camera you use these go from 1 to 8 or 1 to 10 I believe, and then there are a single line of numbers on the right side of the role that go from 1 to 12 this is of course for different format framing.

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is the 127 Verichrome Pan that I am familiar with: http://m4.i.pbase.com/g5/29/663529/3/118564714.CNr6Oy5Q.jpg

That is an image I found using Google.

I am too young to know what 127 Verichrome looked like :wink:.

Any chance, Stone that what you have is Verichrome, not Verichrome Pan?

And with respect to the numbering, I wasn't talking about the numbers on the backing paper, but rather the numbers edge printed on to the film.

11. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Actually funny enough today I loaded my 116 camera with that same roll... :smile:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397432502.840809.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397432510.589697.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397432516.423258.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397432523.008095.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397432528.657591.jpg

But the 127 is an entirely different backing paper.

The above roll is 1976 I believe, and the 127 was I believe 1950's or 1960's I THINK but I have another roll from the same lot, so I'll check when I get home, I haven't broken into the box yet so was savoring it, but for the sale of curiosity I'll check it out tonight and break it open :wink:

12. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have never seen a Kodak/Eastman Kodak backing paper that was white or silver nor one without the maker's name & film type printed on it. The last 127 size Verichrome Pan films I saw were UK made with expiry dates in the 1970's and 1980 and the last rolls made in the USA which had expiry dates around 1983-85 I think. But all were yellow with black & red printing giving the make, film type & roll film size. They look much like the 116 backing papers illustrated above.

13. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The paper backing says Made in USA as I recall, in the 50s there was Ansco which became Gaf, Kodak and Dupont, by the 60's to the 70's Dupont left the market, and GAF left in the late 70s leaving just Kodak. Ansco/Gaf made a lot relabled film, so it might have been house film of some sort. 3M made slide and negative film, but I think 3M ever made roll fill or for that matter black and white. I have a dim memory of GAF roll film with a similar paper backing.

14. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Guys, I'm telling you it's a kodak roll of VerichromePan.... It's certainly kodak, I literally have a roll and posted it... I opened it brand new (expired but in an unopened package). Not sure how I can convince you any further...

15. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm puzzled why Kodak would use a backing paper without their name on? I have never ever come across that before (& I've been around for a very long time!).

As for 3M and rollfilm, in the 1980's, at least, they did make a professional colour neg roll film in 120 size which was branded 3M, although made in the Ferrania factory in Italy. It was not made in 127 nor do I recall any 3M branded black & white films in any size.

16. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don't know either, but it looks cool and certainly was not tampered with and came in it's original paper seal that WAS labeled kodak.

17. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    So OP did you ever develop it??

I just looked at my film and the film also has no rebate on it at all ... Pretty fogged, scannable.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399873403.496663.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399873455.782409.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399873513.304384.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399873530.420985.jpg

18. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I haven't yet...a few projects around the house that need completing before I can get to souping anything again.

I'll be sure to post up results when I do...pet peeve about forums is seeing a great discussion lead to OP saying: I'll post again when I know if it worked! and then 6 months later all that has happened is interested members asking about whether it ever happened or not and OP is gone.

19. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Load the film into a tank in dark and see what the other end of the paper says.

Or respool the film on to the other spool in dark to see what the leader says.

Don't expect much when you soup it - if your summer's are hot.

From memory it used to say verichrome pan at both ends.

Time and temperature for the 120 is still on kodaks site as a PDF download.

20. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whatever the site recommends, I would double the development time to compensate for the reduced sensitivity over time.

21. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Depends on how it was shot.

Was this shot recently? Did you compensate for age? (1 stop adjustment per 10 years past expiry works well) if you did, you can develop as normal.

If this is old... But exposed back in the day, I would also develop as normal and maybe push only slightly.

If you exposed it for 125 ASA now, and it's 1970's film, then I would add 2 minutes for every 10 years to the dev time (when using HC-110(B) I would change that to only 1.25 minutes per...)

That's me, the way I expose and develop from my experience and for scanning the film not optically printing.

22. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I have read recently of people developing found films in colder temps than normal. Evidently it holds the fog down.

HC-110 is an excellent choice.