Mystery Antique Darkroom Equipment

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Simplicius, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Simplicius

Simplicius Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was clearing out my late father's joinery yard today and stumbled across this, (see slideshow). I had no idea what it is for but my sister remembered asking before. It came out of the School of Art in Cork over 25 years ago, when we were building them a new library inside the existing building, so it's probably over 40 years old. I remember the job; I worked there during my summer holidays on the site as a kid.

My sister recalled my father maintained it was for hanging film and was salvaged from the darkroom, which they sacrificed to make room for the library. So I gave it a try, it is remarkable, and it grips it like a vice. The glass balls are smooth and solid, so relatively heavy.

Anyone seen this arrangement before am I on the right track? Is it a negative hanger?

I am seriously considering cleaning it up and taking it home to my own darkroom, it's so handy.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff460/anthonycronin/Darkroom/?albumview=slideshow

Anthony

2. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Likely for drying, I'd say.

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sweet looking film drying rack for roll film. Great design, must have been for a commercial dark room.

4. jerry lebens

jerry lebens Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    It's not really intended for film it was probably used for 'printmaking' at the school of art - as in etching and lithography. I used to use one when I studied art back in the 70's

Regards
    Jerry

5. Luseboy

Luseboy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that looks ingenious! clean it up and use it, that looks like a great way to hang negatives to dry!

6. Matthew Rusbarsky

Matthew Rusbarsky Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's cool. Modern stainless steel versions are used in restaurant kitchens for hanging orders.