Mystery Archival Washer

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by donbga, Mar 14, 2007.

1. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Hi Folks,

Recently a friend of mine closed their wet darkroom and gave me several pieces of equipment.

One notable item was an 11x14 archival print washer in terrific condition, just about like new. Problem is I have no knowledge of how to plumb the unit.

Briefly the washer has three threaded holes which can be used to connect hoses valves, whatever.

One is a 5/8 inch threaded hole, one is a 1/2 inch threaded hole, and one is a 3/8 inch threaded hole.

So my question is how to rig it for proper use and perhaps identify the manufacturer. A friend of mine here locally speculated it might be a Saltzman.

There are two weirs in the washer, one at each end, but aren't identical in construction. One is open at the top, the other is capped at the top with a slot cut into the top side.

The two larger threaded holes are located on the narrow sides ot the washer close to the top of the unit which feed into each of the weirs. The small hole is located in the lower right corner providing a port at the bottom of one of the weirs.

I've attached some snaps, perhaps that will explain the construction better than my description.

Thanks in Advance,

Attached Files:

• AW1.jpg
      AW1.jpg
      File size:
      192.6 KB
      Views:
    • AW2.jpg
      AW2.jpg
      File size:
      130.8 KB
      Views:
    • AW3.jpg
      AW3.jpg
      File size:
      73.3 KB
      Views:
  2. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    More pictures attached.

Attached Files:

• AW4.jpg
      AW4.jpg
      File size:
      62.7 KB
      Views:
    • AW5.jpg
      AW5.jpg
      File size:
      107.8 KB
      Views:
    • AW6.jpg
      AW6.jpg
      File size:
      136.9 KB
      Views:
  3. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    One more picture.

Attached Files:

• AW7.jpg
      AW7.jpg
      File size:
      145.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Don, The 5/8 inch port is for the overflow/drain. The 1/2 inch port is water inlet. The 3/8 inch is used only to completely drain the unit. It looks like a copy of the Zone VI washer.

5. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Thanks Donald. That makes sense. I tried using food coloring to watch the water flow through the unit and that was the one port I haven't tested for incoming water.

Cheers,

6. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My washer is a Zone VI clone and looks similar. But I use the 5/8 port for the input hose and the 1/2 port for the outlet hose. The input hose is a small size and the outlet is big. The small lower hole is for draining. The location of the 1/2 outlet port sets the water level. That's the way mine came from the factory.