Mystery Film in Old Bulk Film Loader

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Dave Pritchard, May 26, 2009.

1. Dave Pritchard

Dave Pritchard Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Someone gave me a couple of bulk film loaders with mystery film in them. One is labeled "931". I have no idea what this stuff is. It is 35mm film with sprocket holes. The film is a nice Kodak yellow color on the glossy side, with the other side looking more like a whitish tan color.

Any clues? I have never seen 35mm film with this appearance.

Oh, a clue! There are little tic marks on one edge, on the sprocket line, repeated every four sprocket holes. On the opposite edge is "10 S22992", repeated at intervals of several inches. This is starting to sound like movie film.

2. Cruzingoose

Cruzingoose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Quick film ID

If the emulsion side is gray, it is B&W. The other side can be most any color from gray, green, blue or red or even black. Color film always has a brown or tan emulsion with the back side being dark brown or black.

3. spoolman

spoolman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Hello Dave:In the various pro labs I worked in over the years,I saw almost every type of film going.If my memory serves me,this may sound like Kodak B&W Infrared film.If it is hard to tear,there is a good possibility that it is infrared film.It was coated on a estar(polyester)film base.The clue that triggered my memory is the mention that the film base is yellow.

If Photo Engineer has a look at this post,he would know more about it.

Doug

4. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This list has neither of those numbers on it, and it has a lot of numbers. Try developing a clip in a basic B&W developer - see if any other info comes up on the edge.

5. Dave Pritchard

Dave Pritchard Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the responses. I will try an unexposed strip of this in b&w developer. I was thinking infrared b&w, too, after some browsing for information. I was active with an arts photography group, back when I got this, and some of them were using infrared, so that is possible.

I will post as soon as can with results.

6. Jayd

Jayd Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi jayd

that would be sheet film,
    but i think the OP has the remains
    of a 100foot 35mm bulk load spool.

john

8. Jayd

Jayd Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Then there is this list of motion picture films
    http://www.evertz.com/resources/FilmID.pdf
    I'm inclined to think you should Emailand ask these evertz people or search all the film mfg sites if you
    haven't already.
    The S is likely telling the type film.
    Jay

9. Dave Pritchard

Dave Pritchard Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I tried a variety of exposures, from ASA 25, to ASA 1000, to several seconds at "bulb". I did get some images on the film. The images did not go all the way through. I could see them on one side of the film, but not through the back side of the emulsion. I saw images via reflection, in direct sunlight, but did not see images through the entire film strip. Weird. I think I'm done experimenting with this stuff. Unknown film in 35mm is now essentially worthless.

Oh. This was developed in Rodinal 1+14, for about 13 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2009
  10. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well no, you're not going to see the image all the way through until it's fixed out.

11. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Are there any markings on the edges of the film that you can now see because it is processed?

12. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those tic marks are probably frame markers for motion picture film. My guess is that is is DuPont 931. I don't have any data for it. An approach would be to load a short roll and bracket some exposures around EI 250 (say 125, 160, 200, 250, 320, 400). Develop it like you would Tri-X, and see what you get. That will give you a baseline or further experiments to adjust the speed and development time.