Mystery Olympus identified.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For all who posted to my query the camera turned out to be an M1......................................Kidding!
    It's an OM-1 MD.Cleaned up very nicely,put in new light seals.Guess you can tell that I purchased it.Couldn't resist the price.........$20.00.
    No self timer.But what the hay.Plenty of others on hand if I need that feature.

Now I need another lens.Something medium to wide angle.I hope it's not too much of an intrusion to ask the group for their suggestions.

Thank You

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great! Now get out there and shoot film!

Steve

3. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well done :smile:. Try the Zuiko 28mm f/2.8 for starters - reasonable price and a fine performer. I've had two 35mm f/2.8s neither of which was too sharp, I don't know if that's true across the board or whether I just got duff ones. The 21/3.5 and 24/2.8 are both superb but perhaps a little wider that you're looking for at present.

4. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    [ Thank You[/QUOTE]
    Check the flash synch switch. On early models it controlled the hot shoe. If it is set at "M" your strobe on that shoe will fire beautifully--and about twenty milliseconds too early.

5. Ken N

Ken N Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting. I'm on my second 35mm f2.8 and both were beyond excellent and remain my single-most favorite Zuiko for all-around performance. But in reality, there are few duds. One thing about the 35mm focal-length Zuikos is that 35mm is about impossible to focus on the 2-series focus screens. For some reason the microprism mesh that is used in stead of the "ground glass" diffusion surface reacts strangely with 35mm focal length and the 35mm f2.0 lens is particularily difficult. Therefore, focus errors may contribute to apparent sharpness.

However, as the camera in question is an OM-1, the 2-series screen is not normally found nor used in it as it will throw the meter off.

I have the 24/2.8, 35/2.8, 35/shift, 50/3.5, 100/2.8, 200/4, 300/4.5 and 35-80/2.8 Zuikos. Not a dog in the bunch. But I had other lenses which I sold off without sadness.

6. naeroscatu

naeroscatu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good find, Mike. I just picked up my OM-1 MD from a technician located in your neck of the woods. I had the same problem, missing the self timer lever and seals (bought it off the evil bay...). For a reasonable price he found a replacement self timer and performed a complete CLA. If you need some work done on your OM's I can send you the contacts, PM me.

7. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 18mm is legendary (one of the best ever), but is probably too wide for your (current) tastes/uses.

Also, the price has probably become absurd due to users of a brand with useless very wides buying them up....

8. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As per Ken N's note I have a 35mm/f2.8 (silve nosed version) and I've been extremely happy when using it on both my OM1 and OM2n. Virtually no distortion and useful for everything from portraits to moderate w/angle landscapes.

9. glockman99

glockman99 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You might want to look into getting a zoom to go with your OM-1...Something like a 35-70, or my favorite zoom-length, a 28-105mm.

10. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I like my 35/2.8 black fron Zuiko.