N75 pop-up flash broken

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by BetterSense, Jun 28, 2011.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an N75 that my wife likes a lot, but the pop-up flash doesn't fire. It pops up automatically when the camera is in auto mode, and the camera sets a speed that seems reasonable for flash, but then it doesn't fire and the lightning bolt flashes after you take the shot. This is sad because my wife likes this camera and the pop-up flash is just what she needs for most of her shots. Is there a common, easily fixable problem with these, or should I just junk it and buy another?

2. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think an SB 400 will work on that camera, I might be wrong but if it will that is a cheep solution that will give great results.

3. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an SB28 which works fine; however my wife is very small and it's the lightness of this camera that gets her to use it. Any shoe-mount flash at all will make the camera too big. I'm afraid she's probably better off with a point-and-shoot unless I can get this fixed.

By the way, what is the cheapest standard or 35mm lens that will fit this camera and work with the auto modes? I would like to have my 50/1.4 back...

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even an SB-800 will do the job.

5. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recommended the SB 400 because it is small and reasonably priced, once you stray from that you might as well hit ebay for a new body. I hate to say it but those popup flashes are not all that robust, or easy to repair.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For $35 I'll bet you could get a new body.

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To whom do I send the money??

I would like a fit 18 to 21 year old male hard body to replace my body with a complete body replacement. That way I could do one recovery and one rehabilitation instead of the damn piece-wise process of part replacement.

Please advise, ASAP!!

8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me too!

Jeff

9. anon12345

anon12345 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aren't these Nikon cameras a-dime-a-dozen on ebay?

10. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You can get them pretty cheaply, but I wanted to fix it for two reasons. One, I overpaid for this camera here on APUG on the assurance that it worked properly, but it turned out that the flash was broken (the pop-up flash is the primary reason I bought it). Second, we are going on vacation in a couple days and I don't have time to order and take delivery of a new one.

11. anon12345

anon12345 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I never use flash myself, I can recommend using Aperture Priority without the flash. It doesn't provide a repair solution for the camera flash, but allows you to keep on shooting.

12. Ottrdaemmerung

Ottrdaemmerung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course this won't help you right now before your vacation, but if you start looking on eBay or thereabouts for a replacement body with a pop-up flash, consider the Nikon N5005. It has a plastic body so it's light, it has the pop-up flash, and it goes anywhere from full manual to full automatic. I got mine for about $35 including a Quantaray kit lens.

13. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This guy has two at $34.95 each. http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-N75-35mm-...Film_Cameras&hash=item19c6bc5ee5#ht_500wt_922 Ebay item # 110708416229