Nacco Fixer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by jeroldharter, Dec 2, 2005.

1. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Does anyone use the liquid Nacco fixers? By my arithmetic they are the cheapest alternative. Why not use them?

2. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the past (1970s and early 80s) I've used Nacco Nu Fix Nacco's concentrated rapid paper and film fixer which incorporates a hypo-eliminator directly into the fixer (Check the APUG Chemistry posts for the detergent (surfactant) wash aid.

The Nacco Nu Fixproduct worked fine for me, but I haven't done comparative testing against other fixers. I would guess that it is an ammonium thiosulfate fixer - if it is, the cost comparison would be against the same quantity of 60% ammonium thiosulfate solution.

3. Maine-iac

Maine-iac Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I do use Naaco's Zip Fix (rapid fixer) and like it just fine. I had never heard of it until a year or so ago when I went to purchase some more Ilford Rapid Fix and my local store was out of it. They had the Naaco, so I bought a gallon (after reading the label and discovering it was essentially the same as Ilford or Heico's versions). It is significantly cheaper than either of the others.

Larry