NADAR, i couldn't agree more ..

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by jnanian, Nov 20, 2013.

1. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Love Nadar but Hippolyte Bayard is an even bigger hero of mine and was a portrait photographer as well. Bayard had a much darker personality than Nadar who must have had a great sense of humour.

Thanks for the link

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seemingly he he came up to his name...

4. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i agree mdr hippolyte bayard was wonderful too ...
    like so many people he was never given credit he deserved in the early days of photography
    (from what i have read nadar's brother did a large amount of the work that nadar also gets credit for ... )

too bad someone hasn't republished a collection of bayard's work ... slow photography at its best !

5. Maris

Maris Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Richard Holmes is free to pursue his hagiolatry of Gaspard-Felix Tournachon aka Nadar however he wants but I think he misunderstands this great man's accomplishments.

Unlike most people in APUG Felix Nadar, for the grand bulk of his career, did no camera work, no darkroom work, and produced no photographs by his own hand. His studio employed "operators" to do framing, focus, and exposures at the camera, a team of assistants running from and to the darkroom with wet plates, and "printers" on the roof of the building contacting out albumen paper. Felix Nadar was a photographic impresario whose precious talent was self promotion and the capacity to attact and schmoose famous sitters to his studio. Without him many iconic images of the European glitterati of the late nineteenth century would not decorate history.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, a movie director does not do things the same, but still he is not considered a impressario.

7. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format

+1

i think you give him less credit than he deserves, he wasn't much different than most commercial photographers of "today"

as i mentioned, his brother took a many of the photographs ...... he (nadar) took many of them as well.

do you know many commercial photographers that do / did all their own printing and processing ... everything involved?
    and gave all the credit to everyone involved ? or was it the "headliner" who got the credit ?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013