NE APUG Photo Show August 27 - September 24

Discussion in 'New England' started by Whiteymorange, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, lets actually have this show I've been talking about!

The dates are in the title, the place is the Landau gallery at Belmont Hill School, a professional gallery in a school setting. It's open to the public, the work will be seen by every student and parent at the school and every admission tour starts at the gallery. We have 6 to 7 shows each year, two of which are generally photography,though not all film. In the past we have had shows by Tom Magno and Jim Dow.

The school is just off Rt 2 about 8 miles from downtown Boston, on public transport and only about a mile from the end of the "T" at Alewife. There are good walls, a great lighting system and the work is insured while it is at the school. Sales are direct to you and, while we don't get a commission, we do expect that if you sell a lot of work you will make a donation to the school. (Charitable contribution, with a formal acknowledgment from the school) We'll have a big party/reception on the 27th to kick it off and maybe a take-down dinner at the end if I can work out the details.

The basics are simple. This show is being produced in collaboration with papagene and the Valley Photo Center. Drop-off dates are still being arranged, but, with Gene's permission, those of you in the western parts will be able to drop off up to two works with him in Springfield. Those who can make it to Belmont can drop off the work at the school. We cannot ship work back to you. It must be picked up, though some short term storage is possible. Two works max and we'll try to hang it all. There is no jury on this one, give us what you got.

This show is open to New Englands photographers. For our purposes, that means you actually live here or have somehow found yourself at one of Gene's VPC workshops in the last few years. New England is sometimes only a state of mind.

Oh... and you should be an APUG subscriber, but that goes without saying, doesn't it?

I've started an info page on the school website, available here. The page has a form that you can fill out to get on the mailing list and a link to the submission form that should accompany each photo.

Sorry, Ed... school building and all... no nudes. Color, B&W, alternative process, whatever.... just don't make it or print it digitally for this one.

Come on, join in. This should be fun.

2. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cool!! So glad to see this thread! Thank you Whitey and Gene for all the work and organizing!

3. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey gang... let's put on a great show!!
    Wait a minute... I sound way too much like Andy Rooney. :rolleyes:
    Seriously folks, this is a great opportunity to see each other's work and have a grand get together.
    If you live closer to the western end of the region please PM me about drop off dates and times.
    And finally, I think Whitey means APUG Subscribers AND Members. And those APUG'ers from NJ and NY who have attended events at the VPC are welcome. Oh, and there is this guy from Indiana who wandered around the Quabbin and Bear's Den last year with Whitey and I...

Looking forward to seeing some GOOOOOOOOOOOD (Analog) photos!

gene

4. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This sounds great Whitey...I can only hope to find a professional darkroom before then...or maybe I'll just come and view the show. drew

5. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Whitey,

I'll have two pics. I'll drop'em off with Gene, when I pick up my two I have at the VPC show. Sounds great.

Regards, Art.

6. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ya! What he said!

7. manjo

manjo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i am assuming the photos have to be matted and framed, 4x5 polariods allowed ?

8. papagene

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Manjo... if they are matted and framed and ready to hang, then they are more than welcome. I would love to see them.

gene

9. JustK

JustK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Hi Gene and Whitey!

What a great opportunity, and thank you both! I just registered at the school website and will submit two framed photos for the show, please let me/us know when you would like them at the Valley Photo Center.

This is going to be way cool!!!
    Looking forward to seeing everyone (and their work) soon!!!
    Krystyna

10. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    More than welcome, manjo. The variety of this show will be one of its great draws. I'm really looking forward to this. Unlike you folks, I'll get to live with it for a month as I work a few feet from the gallery!

As for matting... I don't want to crimp people's style, I just want Gene and I to have a reasonable time in hanging it. Let's just say that they have to be ready to hang.

Come one, come all!

11. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Umm... interesting. Is there a limitation on the physical size or insured value?

12. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The school's limit for insurance for the show (not the individual work) is $25,000

Size? The gallery has a 27' ceiling but a hanging molding that is 14' from the floor. The lights are at that level and you should take that as a practical limit. One main wall is about 37' long. A viewer can stand back 16' from that wall. Other spaces in the gallery are 8' to the lights and more suited to intimate work.

Now, having said that, let me remind you that this is being hung by volunteer labor. If something requires a lift to hang, it will probably be left leaning against a wall. I'm getting too old for climbing rigging.

13. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks- Well, you are saying that there is no practical limit for ordinary work... that's good. Sometimes I've seen group shows with size limitation (sometimes as small as 30" long side of frame), and I'm not familiar with the gallery, so I was just checking.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    very cool thing you-all are doing!
    quick question ...
    i don't get as much time in a wet darkroom as i would like
    and sometimes i have b/w and color work printed by a pro-lab ...
    unfortunately they are not all wet, but semi-wet ...
    and use a light jet /wet kind of thing for me ...

would that be considered analogy-enough,
    or would it have to be full-out mad scientist?

i won't whine or cry if you say: NO!
    and i'll just submit something I'VE done in the dark.

much thanks!

john

16. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John.. as far as I'm concerned you could submit just about anything!! I'd love to see it all!! Granted, in the spirit of APUG... it may end up being an older (meaning all wet behind the ears!!) print.

Of course... even if it's older, I'm sure from you, it'll be interesting!! I hope you can make an appearance at the opening or the dinner at the end!! :smile:

17. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh maybe another question. I have a few 11x14 b&w transparencies sandwitched with glass in a wooden frame. They are supposed to be hang about a foot in front of a brightly lit surface (wall). Almost ALL of my friends tell me that they are the coolest things I made in the past, but at least one place I showed them in the past (University Place Gallery across the post office in Harvard Square) hated it and they didn't allow me to install a light.

If this request is too much PITA I will understand it, but I'd rather ask before falling back to my standard prints.... Is this gallery able to accomodate this type of work? (If it helps, I can bring both transparency work and reflective print work and let them pick after seeing them.)

18. papagene

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am goig to have to defer this answer to Whitey as it is his space and he knows it better than I. Also there is a limitation of time for us to hang the show. So, Whitey... can they be hung??
    But I would love to see the transparencies.

gene

19. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

20. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That sounds perfect. Mine is framed (12x16 or so) and it should be easy to try. Otherwise, I have two 18x24 prints in 24x32 frame. I'll have them in my car to drop off so that we can decide which to hang when we meet on the drop off day. I'm happy with whatever you can hang out of these...

One small problem is that, there is really no place on the transparency work to attach a form. Only a small tag can be affixed on its side.

21. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ok, i've sent off two negs for printing. There aren't any printers close to me except for him. This guy has screwed up some work before but hopefully after speaking to him, he'll do a good job on these. My prints will probably be around 11x14. Thanks for putting this together.

drew

22. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep 'em coming folks! This could be great!

23. JamesG

JamesG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whitey, Gene...
    Thanks for extending the invite to NJ APUGers. I am definitely interested in being involved and can, and will, submit two b&w framed 13x15" photos. I would also like to attend the opening if you plan on having a formal opening night. I'll be traveling to Maine for a workshop in mid-July and can possible drop the photos off in VPC. I will just need to know if someone (Papagene) will be there at the time I will be coming through.
    I'll stay active in this thread.

James

24. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I signed up via Whitey's link. Now I just have to choose which prints! That's not the easy part.

25. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know... I always have a stock of framed images to send to exhibitions, but when the show is not juried, I tend to like to send more experimental work (that would not be a good choice if the show was juried)... so I'll continue to experiment...

One sad thing is that I just found out that I can't attend the opening reception (I'm booked to shoot in that weekend). If there's a post-opening, take-down, or whatever, please let me know!

PS thanks everyone involved for managing the show!

26. PhotoPete

PhotoPete Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm also in, and having the same delicious dilemma as my esteemed colleagues. I think I will try some new things, provided I have enough time to fine-tune my experiments.