NE Ohio gathering September 4-6, 2009

Discussion in 'Great Lakes Region' started by jp80874, Aug 13, 2009.

1. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    We are going to have another NE Ohio Apug gathering September 4,5 & 6th, partially at the Powers’ house in Bath and partially at Nelson-Kennedy Ledges. Peter Spangenberg has taken me there to shoot a couple of times and Dolly and I have explored there. It is a really exciting place with cliffs and tree roots growing thirty feet down the walls, a bit like Ankor Wat without the temples, heat or airfare.
    The last link has many pictures.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/nelsonk/tabid/775/Default.aspx
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Kennedy_Ledges_State_Park
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1

We can meet there when ever you can get there, spend Saturday there, come back to our area for dinner and show and tell. If we have enjoyed Saturday we can go back Sunday. If not the Cuyahoga Valley National Park is just two miles away from the house. Anyone wishing to camp here is welcome. If we have enough for the porta potty ($110), the vendor is happy to drop one off. The Hampton Inn, Richfield, OH 44286 is the popular alternative.

We hope to have another gathering late in October to catch the Fall Color. Dates for that will be published in another thread when the Ohio Department of Natural Resources decides when they will schedule the color event.

Boiler plate from previous events to follow.

John, Dolly and the girls

2. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    We had 22 APUG members here at various times July 25-26. They and other Apug members in the region are welcome to join us for another gathering.

The event will be in Bath, Ohio, five miles south of the Ohio Turnpike and Route 77, meeting at a private home, two miles from the edge of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. If some visitors want to camp by the garden, you are most welcome. Others can stay at local motels. Come as early as Friday night. We will probably skip the coffee & rolls each morning and go directly to Nelson Ledges. While you are here the Lady Labradors will entertain with their splashing stick routines. When we learn how many are coming we can order a porta potty if there are enough to pay for it ($110).

We will meet back at the house about 5:00 PM for conversation, Show and Tell of prints, equipment and workshop techniques in the afternoon. We will probably have dinner out early Saturday night to allow for sunset shooting. We are trying to have a loose organizational shell under which all Apug cats may be comfortably herded. The plan will evolve until the majority are happy and the protesters fall asleep.

All APUGers are welcome. Who is interested in coming? What information is needed?

If you have not been here before please PM me with name, address, phone, email and emergency contact if you do something you shouldn’t have.

Hosts, John & Dolly Powers

3. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's Labor Day weekend, right?

Looks like Eva & I won't be able to make it to this one. Eat lots of ice cream for us! :smile:

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My schedule looks open that weekend.

I have already processed negatives taken with my new toy. Its a fantastic Multicoated 5.6/300mm Fujinon in a Copal #3 (thanks to John). I'll have to post some pictures of that lens mounted on the 8x10 Century. That lens doubles the weight of the camera (well almost :wink:).

5. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, Labor Day weekend. Works for me. :smile:

Lee

6. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    As I mentioned to John I have one variable looming but even so I should be able to make it for at least one of the days.

Lee, looking forward to showing you some of my prints using HP5+. Thanks again for your help! Shawn

7. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Dale,

It is heavy because it is a W. One assumes W for wide. The tag on it said 420mm image circle. I think 8x10 is 313mm so that ought to give you a little walking around room or shifting and tilting room. I hope you enjoy it.

Big as it is, it is dwarfed by the 300mm Schneider APO Symmar. That is heavy.

John

8. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Well now that we finally have the event posted and people are starting to respond we can get back to the food channel. Last week we picked about a pint of blackberries. Since then we have had two days of rain and two days when the temperature just touched 90 degrees. Tonight Dolly, the girls and I went back down to the tenting area and picked. We brought a quart of berries back into the house. You know at least that many were eaten on the way. Dolly had made blackberry yogurt ice cream with some of the berries from last week. Today she made a meringue. Tonight they were all blended together.

Yep, too bad Jeff isn’t coming.

JP

9. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sounds yummy. We just finished making a plum ice cream and a muskmelon granita. Not as good as homegrown blackberry ice cream though ...

I think your going to have to mail some of it up here to Michigan!

10. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Didn't know what granita was. "A granita is a traditional Italian dessert and can vary widely in texture based on its freezing method. Those produced in a gelato machine ..." Didn't know there was a gelato machine.

I sense a gas attack. Okay Shawn and Dale have bought two of my unused lenses. Who else wants one? Partial trades of gelato machines accepted.

John

11. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    We make ours using this method - http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/35/Basic-Granita

I'd be happy to trade you my granita maker (aka a 9x13 baking pan and a fork) for one of your cameras though! :smile:

12. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad to return some favors Shawn. I don't get enough darkroom time, so I spend some of my time figuring out how to make it more efficient, like analyzing film development curves. I always enjoy looking at your work.

Lee

13. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Sept. 6,2009, Ohio-Cleveland Camera Collectors Show - Cleveland Richfield Quality Inn, 4742 Brecksville Rd. Richfield, OH. Just 1/4 mile south of the Rt 77, Rt 21, OH Turnpike Interchange- Open 10 AM- 4 PM.
    Wasn't that nice of them to schedule this during our event? Igor's Camera Exchange is probably the best known vendor at this event. It is a small show, but Lee, Lee's son David, Peter and I go quite often.

John

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I drove over to this event last minute this spring, when KEH was there. I picked up the Toyo 45AII (in great user condition!) I was using at Blue Hen last go round for $745 from a vendor. This is about half what they are going for used on FeePay. There were definitely some deals to be had.... Maybe it was bigger than normal with KEH there, I'm sure John could tell us, but if you knew what you were looking for there were some great deals on FILM equipment to be had....

16. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    There is quite a variety there, but the show has gotten smaller over the last few years. I bought a Jobo CPP-2 on eBay. The dealer was in Indiana. When he found out where I lived, he said he was coming to the show and would deliver. I later bought several stainless trays from him. I have found a collapsible luggage cart, books, and met lots of interesting people. They are a riot. One dealer sells nothing but filters, tables of different types and sizes. One old man, old even to me, told me he had been selling there for 23 years. I have since noticed that none of the inventory changes. He just goes there to talk to his friends. There is a good breakfast restaurant across the street, not pretty, but good.

John

17. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I examined my first negatives with the 'new to me' Fuji 300 and the edge-to-edge evenness is excellent. That was what I was looking for (expecially after examining John's books by Michael and Paula.

In the center not as sharp as the Symmar-S 210 I am comparing to, but that Symmar-S is a 5x7 lens, so it looses some resolution at the corners of an 8x10 frame.

That fits with the resolution tests on the internet. It seems the other big 300mm plasmat lenses in the Copal 3 shutters are in the 45 LPM range (at working apertures) right with the Fuji. The advantage, of course, to these big lenses is the large image circle, allowing full movements.

18. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    ....and putting the fuzzy corners (technical talk) out beyond the 313mm 8x10 image that we create. Now we just have to get out and create. Happy shooting with your (old to me) new lens.

That said I was down in Peninsula yesterday morning where they had been kind enough to put the steeple back on the church and take down the scaffolding. They must have known my class at U Akron was just about to start.

John

19. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  20. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks Lee. Those should be very helpful. The only thing they don’t convey is how steep and rugged the place is. When Peter and I first went there I could not enter from the parking lot with the baby jogger. Once Peter helped me get it over the first steep part I could move about slowly. Perhaps there is a topographical map somewhere that would clarify this. Please dress accordingly, especially walking shoes or boots for climbing in rocks.

Secondly, it may have been an oddity, but this is the only place I have been stung. Dolly and I didn’t see what did it. I had an allergic reaction. If you have this problem I suggest and now carry antihistamine and cortezone cream. The nearest pharmacy was half an hour’s drive.

John

21. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not too helpful on the scale of footsteps, but this topo section shows 10 foot contour intervals, and it doesn't help that our friendly forum software squashed it and put in into the inappropriate .jpg format rather than the uploaded .gif.

Lee

Attached Files:

22. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks Lee. I also looked but couldn't find anything better. I thought it important to let people know what was there. They probably have an idea by now. It is amazing how cautious I became after spending six months on crutches from an injury at another location.

John

23. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    northeast OH APUG gathering website

Since we have been gathering in the same area of northeast Ohio periodically for the last year, I decided that it would be nice to put together a web page of resources for those of us who are returning often and that would also be useful to people joining us for the first time. I made up a google map for one of our earlier gatherings, and decided that it would continue to be useful and should be available from within each thread about an upcoming gathering.

With that in mind, I've put together a webpage that is minimal, but hopefully useful for everyone involved. It's still a work in progress, but already has links to maps of the places we've photographed, restaurants we've eaten in, museums with photography, and lodging.

The maps on the site are currently all google maps. They are embedded in the website, but are zoomable, panable, searchable, and interactive in their embedded form. If you click on the 'larger map' link below each map, you will go to a full google map page of the area, with all the features of a google map. You can print out any of these maps from the google page, and switch the map among street maps, satellite photo maps, and shaded contour types. There is also a little person at the top of the zoom control on google maps. If you drag this person to a street location that has been surveyed by google, you can get an interactive view of the location taken from a VW Beetle rooftop as it traveled through the area. This is great for location a specific business or intersection, and knowing in advance what it will look like from the ground.

The maps also have icons on them, and the 'summary map' has loads of them. I've tried to sort them out with reasonable icons, which you can click on for information, including an option to produce directions to the location from wherever you want. If the icons are too crowded in one area, you can zoom in.

I also have links to other maps in online form and in downloadable .pdf format from state and national park services. These can be downloaded and printed out by you.

Currently there are pages for maps, web resources, and weather. I am thinking about an accommodations page, but could use some input for that from some of the regulars in the form of brief "reviews", as I haven't stayed at any of the hotels or lodges around.

There is a map on the web resources page that's an already initiated google map search for restaurants. The results change as you zoom in/out and pan around, and you can click on the icons for information, including ratings (just as reliable as the "favorite 50mm lens ratings" threads on APUG or photo.net), address, phone, etc.

Please PM me if you have suggestions or questions. I'll maintain this as I have time and get input from others, or bright/stupid ideas of my own. BTW, I won't put people's addresses on the map, as this is open to anyone for viewing. If you want directions to residences, request that separately from the person via PM.

Lee

Oh, you want the URL? OK.
    sites.google.com/site/neohapug

24. Peter Spangenberg

Peter Spangenberg Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was talking to John this afternoon, and there are a couple of points worth mentioning about this place. I would recommend Tmax for this time of year because of the heavy "canopy" of leaves. I had some reciprocity problems with other films. Also, the early AM and late afternoon are best-otherwise, way too splotchy with sun spots. Overcast but bright is the best for summer. Once you get up the first hill from the lot (and it's only about 150 feet) it's pretty easy to get around. See you there. I'll be happy to take anyone to some of my other favorite spots up this way if the ledges aren't to your liking.

25. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Lee, this is spectacular. Thank you for all the time and effort you have put into this. Our Hiking Hounds group has been using something like this to find the different parks we go to every Sunday. It is monumentally called Mike's Maps and gets everyone from all parts of town to the starting point. I say let's christen this Lee's Maps in honor of the Man.

Peter, great advice for Nelson Ledges. I really think it helps the first timer to have some idea of what will be encountered.

I think we are going to have fun, but then I think we have been doing that all along, just a new location.

Thanks to you both.

John

26. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    We received a flier today that the Chuck Close exhibit at the Akron Art Museum was going to open Friday Sept. 4th, 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM

Familiar Faces: Chuck Close in Ohio Collections
    September 5, 2009 - January 3, 2010
    Karl and Bertl Arnstein Galleries
    Renowned for reinventing portraiture in the late 1960s, Chuck Close (b. 1940) is one of America’s most important contemporary artists. He masterfully employs a multitude of media to create monumental portraits of his family and friends. The Akron Art Museum, an institution with a longtime commitment to Close’s art, is organizing an exhibition of the artist’s work from collections throughout Ohio...

The Knight Purchase Award: Helen Levitt
    June 6, 2009 - October 4, 2009
    Fred and Laura Ruth Bidwell Gallery
    The Knight Purchase Award: Helen Levitt comprises pictures from the Akron Art Museum's collection including works donated by the artist's colleagues, friends and admirers over the past decade, as well as the recent Knight Award purchases.

http://www.akronartmuseum.org/exhibitions/

John