Neck Strap for Yashica TLR?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Michel Hardy-Vallée, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm currently using the thin (half an inch) leatherette one that came with with my Yashica when I bought it, but I was looking for a better quality replacement. I have seen those straps made for Rollei TLR with the metal alligator grip, but I'm not sure if they will fit in the metal eyelet on the side, just above the pin in which they lock. Anybody had a go at them? Otherwise is there any modern model that is worth looking at?

2. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    On ebay there is a US based seller whose ID is camerahunter. They are offering an Op-Tech Pro Strap which is described as being suitable for the Yashica 124G, LM, D etc. It's at a Buy it Now price of US$ 22.95 plus shipping depending on where you are. Having recently acquired a very nice (but strap-less) Yashica D, I was wondering about buying one of these myself.

3. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, I think those would do the job. You just lock the thread loop onto itself, and you're set. Thanks for the tip! Gotta love the camerahunter, he's got me some pretty useful items like the cable release socket (Leica nipple).

4. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One heck of an anchor to put around your neck Michel but I realize the need for "camera safety". I will ask my friend,who has a multitude of TLR's if he can spare a strap to fit your camera.
    When I take my Rollie out for a walk I put it in a padded 2nd world war medical bag and handle it with TLC when I compose and shoot.

Mike

5. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Did you try "Gordy's Neck Straps"? Everyone has been raving about them. He is an APUG sponsor.

6. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I looked at Gordy's but the only product that would work for me is the string lug, however he produces them only as hand strap, not neck strap.

Mike: I find the Yashica actually pretty light around the neck. I'm sure the Rolleiflexes are much heavier due to their sturdier construction.

7. sajianphotos

sajianphotos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use an Optech on my Yashica mat. Just like Michael said the loop on the end of the strap slips through the slit on the camera strap bracket and loops over itself. (I think thats what Michael meant) I really like mine.

8. Chaska

Chaska Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditto on the Op-tech, B and H has good prices plus you can buy the connectors separate from the strap. I have 5 cameras with the connectors and only one strap. Plus, with my SLRs I just use the connectors as a wrist strap, works great and cheap.

9. bsignorelli

bsignorelli Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My 1" black Domke strap fits my TLR just fine.

10. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Optec straps are soooo nice, especially if you are using a heavy camera.

11. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Definitely go for one of the stretchable neoprene neck straps. I use the Optech on a Mamiya C220, which is larger and heavier than the Yashica TLR, with reasonable comfort. Regular straps just don't cut it. Every step you make imparts an impact on your neck and shoulders. The natural give of the neoprene absorbs a lot of the shock. At the end of the day, your neck and shoulders will thank you.

12. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Vero Vellini padded strap intended for Binoculars; it works out fine and can be found at most sporting goods stores. I paid $29.99 for the strap. I was also able to find Nikon Lens Pens at the same location for $9.75.

13. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Snicker, snicker.... I think they are heavier because of that massive Fatherland glass they stick in it. We all know the Japanese imports get better mileage.

tim (635) in san jose