Need a Photographer!

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by roccky54, Apr 11, 2008.

1. roccky54

roccky54 Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    We are t rying to save some money on our wedding by hiring a cheaper photographer. Any ideas? Our wedding will take place in the Northwest WA.:confused:

2. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe you can find an APUGer and/or a friend who will do it cheap. I just shot one for a friend for $200, plus $150 (AUD - near enough to USD) for a d****al video incorporating some of the photos. That, I think, is very, very cheap. When you look at the hours involved, for that price it is a labour of love. Personally, we paid around $900 AUD for our wedding photographer, and got to keep the negs, and were delighted with the results, and even that is very, very cheap. Good luck. :smile:

3. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I offer a film based service. My price starts at $1,250,000 plus expenses, which covers the basic turning up fee and the first 12 snaps. Additional films shot are $500,000 each, and I usually recommend 5 of these because they don't all come out; in fact, to be honest very few do. It's difficult to get good staff these days. Prints are of course extra, most people dispense with these because by the time Les has printed them the protagonists, sorry couple have divorced. You get to keep the negatives.

4. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm out of the running. Dave Miller's fees are cheap compared to what I would charge for shooting a wedding! :>)

Gene

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    some of the best wedding photographs i have seen
    were done with this photographer

i'd fly out west to do it for you but it would cost more than the photographer
    i mentioned by-link.

good luck and best of luck with your wedding!

john

6. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    jnanian has the right idea. Seriously. Just invite a whole bunch of wedding photographers to your wedding as guests. Leave out the disposable cameras and hilarity ensues.

I attended a photographer's wedding one time. He thought he was being really artistic when he set up a "self-portrait station." Camera on a tripod, lighting and a long cable release. He made one strategic error. He set it up the night before the wedding. Some folks (who shall for the sake of career and reputation shall remain unnamed) did a whole bunch of nude self portraits.

7. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there a photography store in your area that you do business with?If you trust their judgement,ask them to recommend a good photographer.Someone who has a good portfolio and is reasonably priced.There are a number of folks around here who do weddings and charge around $500.00 plus film etc.I've seen their work and it's nice.

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  9. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Give the folks at Glazers http://www.glazerscamera.com/ a call. They have a fairly large base of active pros and should be able to give you some leads.

Good luck.

Bob

10. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No offense if this is actually legit, but it smacks of what's become known as the Nigerian Wedding Scam - see here for a good description.

Basically a cheque-cashing scam - they "hire" you, overpay a deposit, and ask for a refund of the difference (usually by wire service or bank transfer) before the original cheque actually clears. When it bounces, you're out of luck.

It's been noticed for a while on the photo.net wedding forum.

11. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I forgot to mention, we have to charge VAT on the total at 17.5% and require a 33% non-refundable cash deposit with booking.
    Appointments can be taken for any time this summer; we're not very busy.

12. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Forgot to mention that bookings should be made through our Lagos office.

13. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd actually do it for a million even, Dave, but it has to be paid in Canadian dollars and cash. Funny, I too have an office in Lagos for this.

Seriously, if there is a sincere component of the original poster, you get what you pay for. I shot my own wedding photographs using a 35mm SLR, self timer release and a tripod.

I like John's link to the wedding camera store. Those are awesome. I want at least one of each they have there.

14. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just an idea Roccky:

I am going to my mother in low home with my family. In my mother in low family also very big and I am Looking to find the best family portrait Photographer available in savannah to do a classic family portrait for me... Ideas?

Make a package deal and fly the "best family portrait photographer available in Savannah" to Northwest WA to shoot the wedding too. If this photographer is good enough for your mother in low's very big family, he/she might be good enough for your wedding, huh?

Good luck in your hunt, Roccky! :rolleyes:

Gene

15. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't take kindly to being under cut Thomas, it's not ethical. :mad:

16. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Easy, Dave. I recommend that you go ahead and undercut Thomas and seal the deal with Roccky. My suggestions: send your bank account number to Roccky so he can deposit the funds directly to your account. This makes things easier. You may wish to request payment in Nigerian currency so that there's no confusion re: the rate of exchange.

In the meantime I'm going to pursue shooting the portraits of Roccky's mother in low's very large family in Savannah. I may do it gratis - just for the experience of working with Roccky!

Looks like Roccky's need for photographers here covers both coasts! He's only made two APUG posts and both seek photographers to pay money to. What a guy, that Roccky! :cool:

Gene

17. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm ahead of you Gene, the deposit is promised any day now. :smile:
    In the meantime I’ve arranged to send our head plumbum technician around to Thomas to demonstrate the finer points of our business model from an equine view point.

18. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fly me out there and pay for food, film and lodging and I'll do it for nothing!

19. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Got this this morning. Sent a reply as follows:

Hello sir/ma,
    i am Richard.Allan,my wife is Elizabeth Allan ,we have been married for 20
    years now and mark 20 years of our marriage,we will be
    celebrating this anniversary on the 24th in the,'Red Lion Hotel,161 West 600 South.then

program will last for just 3 hours,we
    will be needing your service for this period,we will be checking in a
    hotel very close to the venue above,as i write you we are in
    Ethiopia,addis ababa.. where we work and live ,i am a business man and
    my wife is a nurse over here,we will like to know your charges for the
    said period and will like to know how we can book you for this date
    without any interruption of any other commitment which you may have,let
    me know your deposit and lets draw an agreement as time waits for no
    one..
    Richard.Allan

Dear Mr Allan.

Thanks so much for your mail, congratulations to you and your Elizabeth for twenty years.

For a time such as three hours the rate is $650 . Howeveer I can find no date for the booking in you the coorespondens you sent to me. As I am a Polygamist, I have a few wives and I need to entertain them on various evenings. This doesn't Interfere with work, but I need to keep a schedule. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

J

20. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was thinking something in lines of one night with the bride... or the groom, whoever is more good looking.
    In the event that both look like dogs, the soul of their firstborn would be fine.

21. jacob0

jacob0 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome to georgia portrait photographer

Very nice prices. Contact name is Susan Smith.
    I'm using her for videography; it's only costing me $550.

She also does photography, too.

22. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hmm, Rocky still hasn't gotten back to me about the anniversary shoot at the Red Lion. I'll keep everybody posted.

23. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My guess is that our pal, Roccky, has now moved on to greener (more scamable) pastures. And, drats, ... we hardly got to know him! :>(

Gene

24. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Got a email from rocky, I mean Mr. Allen, he wants my number so he can call me... hmmmm.