need a really powerful flash...cheap

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by amuderick, Sep 3, 2010.

1. amuderick

amuderick Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My Rollei E 36 RE flash guns are starting to fail me. Instead of scavenging ebay for more of the same, I was thinking of finding a different model flash. I plan on using it with my Sputnik 3D camera. So, I need a LOT of power (guide number) and don't really care about recharge time...if I take a shot a minute, it is a lot. Also, I want something really cheap. ;-)

Suggestions?

2. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where are you located and what is the budget? Cheap may mean different things to different people. Location is important because some locations have lots to choose from, other places very little, both of these variables effect prices. Do you know what the light output of your existing flash is?

3. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sunpak 555's are cheap and powerful. And tough. It's what I use for throwing a lot out there.

4. amuderick

amuderick Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I am in Philadelphia. The sunpak looks decent. My rollei is a gn 150 as well. It let's me shoot at f/16 and 10ft. It also looks cheap...probably since it doesn't support ettl.

Additional model # suggestions appreciated

5. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That sort of power, and no TTL-control, a Metz 45 CT-1.
    Used, they sometimes go for peanuts.

6. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also have Metz. My favorite is Metz 45CT-3. Guide number 145 I think. 65 dollars-ish at KEH. I like it so much I just bought a second one.

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Metz 60 CT1 has a guide number of 60 metres, so powerful will nearly remove wallpaper, and cheap second-hand.

8. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check out Calumet (APUG partner) at their location on Market St. Lots of used/consigns in house.

9. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think what you've described are FLASH-BULBS.

Get a Honeywell Tilt-A-Mite or similar. It can use AG1 and M bulbs and maybe others (not sure, just got mine). Guide numbers in the hundreds, cheap if bought in lots on eBay or found in antique malls and they have nearly unlimited coverage when used w/o a reflector.

My 2 cents

10. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any of the flashes mentioned will do a nice job... Another one to consider is the Agfa 643CS. GN of 212, built-in diffusers, wink light fill flash (second flash tube). They slip through eBay from time to time at rather low prices. I've accumulated a number of these and some Quantum battery equipment to ease the battery consumption (these are 12V and run on 8 AA cells). They have a unique drum head/swivel design that allows bounce/wink from any angle.

11. brian d

brian d Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    and if you really want to light it up...

Attached Files:

• 122.JPG
      122.JPG
      File size:
      910.1 KB
      Views:
  12. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also have a Metz 45 which I like, but I haven't used in the last few years.

Jeff

13. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    DANG. That's it. Just...DANG. :eek::D

14. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If that's not enough light, add a couple of Graflite side lighting units.:wink:

15. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was going to say check ebay for a Honneywell Tilt-a-mite and some #5 or #25 bulbs to go with it, that combination can turn night into day for about 40 feet. I have shot a #5 in the dark and it looks like high noon on 200 film at f/16 this is from one side of my Kodak Stereo, don't mind the dust from the scanner.

[​IMG]
    Backyard flashbulb by bblhed, on Flickr

16. djacobox372

djacobox372 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use a vivitar 283 flash on my sputnik, works well and seems to sync just fine at 1/125.

17. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Add me in as a vote for flashbulbs. I have a box of M5s in front of me, and they have a GN of 200 at ASA 100 and 1/100 sec shutter speed. Of course, I am assuming that you have an older camera with "M" sync. If not, you will have to use 1/30 sec, but then you will get a GN of 260.

18. premo

premo Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I also vote for 5's or 25's. We used to call these "lightning in a bottle".

19. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd get a variable-power Sunpak or Metz Potato masher. They are the most versatile, and the most bang for the buck. The Sunpak 622 in particular is extremely versatile. There are six or seven different heads for it, including an IR head, a zoom head, and a bare bulb head. They have a GN of 200 or so, but are more expensive than the 555.

Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 283 or 285 (all speedlights, not potato mashers) are not bad either, though they have less power. The Viv 283 is not adjustable, which I consider to be a deal killer (though I do have one that I got for cheap).

I decided on the Sunpak 555, which is a potato masher that takes filters and plenty of other accessories, like external batteries, A/C adapters, rechargeable battery packs, etc. It has a GN of 160, and cost me about the same number of U.S. dollars. The filter kit added $30. The only time the flash has failed me was when it got dumped on by a water drop helicopter when shooting a fire. It came back 30 minutes later. It is my #1 flash for weddings, was my number one flash when shooting news events, and I would have no reservations about suggesting one, especially for such mild use. They are very capable and very powerful for what they cost.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010
  20. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Second hand Norman 200B packs and LH-2 heads are pretty reasonably priced, unless you need to upgrade the battery and get the new charger.