Need a source for SS developing tank caps

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by walbergb, Apr 26, 2011.

1. walbergb

walbergb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anyone know of a source for SS developing tank caps for SS lids?

I took possession of several SS developing tanks as part of a package of darkroom equipment I bought recently. Unfortunately, five of the tanks are missing the caps. I want to sell the tanks, and I think they would be more attractive to buyers if they had caps.

2. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Unfortunately, SS tank parts are weirdly unique to their original brethren. If you have a ss tank, tank lid, and tank lid cap, they are only ever going to fit properly with each other. You start mixing them up and things won't go on, or won't stay on, or will leak, etc. So even if you find someone with 5 loose caps to sell you, it's not going to be easy to make any of them actually fit. And this is why you're not going to find a source of new replacement caps: there's no point.

So your best bet at this point is going to be finding a source for those black plastic caps you see on some tanks. Those can stretch to fit any tank lid more or less.

Duncan

3. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've gotten generic replacement tops for my Kinderman ss tanks from Calumet. They are flexible enough to form a tight fit and have a daylight filling cap.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

4. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just checked the Calumet website and they have in stock the plastic tank tops @$6.49.

5. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&H has them too, but it's always best to actually try them on your tanks to see if the fit. Maybe Brandon, MB has a used camera store?

6. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a brand new plastic replacement lid and cap for SS tanks, they fit almost all standard diameter tanks, not large diameter ones though. PM me if interested.

7. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Freestyle Photo has some, but it may not fit your exact tanks. They are Arista brand, I think.

8. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SS development tanks are not worth much on secondary market. I'm not sure if it is worth for the seller to go through the trouble and expense. (although it would be nice). You might just sell them as "cap missing".

9. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I they are the 2 (35mm) reel variety, they may not be worth the effort. If they are 1 reel or 4 reel, they might.

10. walbergb

walbergb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Additional Information

All components of these tanks are SS. Here is an example
    [​IMG]

Sizes are 2, 4, & 8 reel (35mm measure). I've tried the plastic cap on the metal lid, but the plastic cap isn't deep enough. Replacing the SS lids with plastic lids & caps is an expensive option, but an option nonetheless. The tanks that are complete are Brooks tanks. The Brooks caps are too small in diameter to fit the other tank lids. Of the five tanks missing caps, one is a Nikkor and the brand of the other four is unknown (stamped "Made in Japan").

11. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably not something you could sell, buy I have found that 1L soda bottle caps will seal many SS caps.

Ugly, but functional.