need a vivid color negative film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by rkmiec, Jan 14, 2008.

1. rkmiec

rkmiec Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    i am looking for a color neg film that has extremely overdone colors.i tried agfa ultra 50(i think)back in the day and i hated how intense the colors were.well of course that film would be perfect for a project i have in mind.is there anything out there similar to this.or a film that can be processed a certain way.maybe cross processed??? is there any ultra 50 around?

wait i just found kodak 100uc and 400uc does anyone have any experience with this film?

2. DarkroomExperimente

DarkroomExperimente Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a roll of 100UC I haven't shot yet...I'm curious about it too

3. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I'd say Porta 160VC (vivid color) or Fuji Reala

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak UC 100 and UC 400 if you can still find it.

Steve

5. timpppa

timpppa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought couple of rolls these too but I have not developed any yet. In europe they are named Kodak EliteColor 200 and 400. I think they are discontinued in 120 format, but in 135 they are still available?

--
    Regards,
    timppa

6. Domin

Domin Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    It depends on what do you want to shoot and get. Cross processed slides give really oversaturated colors, but usually the skin tone gets unnatural. For shooting people I would use E100 Plus.

Search on the web can be misleading as most xprocess pics seem to be made by lomographers who like the heavy color cast (usually greenish), which in fact can be corrected. I have a lot of xprocessed prints and none look like that.

7. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ektachrome E200 cross-processed can give very nice results, and "normal" colors if you spend some time tweaking the balance. I've managed to get clean whites and pleasing colors, except that they were cranked to 15 on a scale of 1 to 10. Very grainy, though, so E100G or GX might be a better choice.

8. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    nothing can match Agfa ultra 50 that film was special hehehe!!!!!!! UC 100 and UC 400 are not going to give you a similar effect.their nice but they are not agfa ultra 50
    RKmiec how many rolls of the agfa 50 do you need? if you are willing to purchase from a lab in australia Im stocked up on the stuff, its been in deep freeze since the day it was bought directly from the distributor in this country. The expiry date on it is 2002.

Steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab

9. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Apart from cross processing, why not just rate either the Fuji 160 or Kodak 160 print films at 100 or so. Or is that not extreme enough?

10. Lol999

Lol999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Depends on what effect you are after. Martin Parr for some of his documentary work uses the cheapest, nastiest colour film he can find, usually bargain basement Kodak's, because it has such bright colours.

Cheers, Lol

11. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be careful about basement price films, because some of them are actually just old tech films that do not have as much punch as the recent ones. In Canada, there is a 2$/roll Kodak film called Kodak Color Plus, which is some kind of Kodacolor II film, and it just sucks in terms of saturation. Better look at Gold for cheap and saturated.

12. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The new Kodak Portra VC films do a good job of producing vivid color. Kodak Gold 100 and 200 are also excellent films for this purpose, with a slightly different look.

13. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used both of these films extensively, and they are excellent. The colors are vivid, but not overdone. 100UC is especially nice - extremely fine grained and well balanced. I think the new Portra VC series may give somewhat more vivid color.

14. Scandium

Scandium Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Vivid color negative

You might try Ferrania Solaris. It comes in 100, 400, and 800 ISO speeds. Freestyle sells it under their Arista label here in the States. It has saturated colors, high contrast, and a bit more grain than either Kodak or Fuji equivalents. It also has a warm color rendition.

$g

15. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can probably still get some Agfa Ultra 100 if you look on ebay, esp german ebay. last time I looked, a few months back it was easy to buy bricks of it, some in date. It´s a very nice film for vivid colour.

16. mark

mark Member

Are you looking for saturated or Callowesque? Cross processing is going to give you the most vivid unreal colors.

17. Silverhead

Silverhead Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    The Portra 160VC has some very nicely punched-up color. It's definitely Kodak's most color-saturated film since the UltraColor series. I just shot some in my new Diana+ and was very happy with the results.