Need help finding tiny wood screws

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Akki14, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm not sure what I should be googling in regards to these tiny screws. They hold my groundglass in (go through the side fabric panels for the flipup lid and hold down the bars that hold the glass) on my really really old speed graphic/folmer&schwing press cam.

Stupid me thought, oh hey I want a new groundglass, let's unscrew the old one and measure it. Yeah except I think decades of adhesive from the leather were mostly holding it all together - the screw holes are stripped, quite a few screws are not original and are rusting. My plan is to fill the stripped holes with milliput black epoxy putty, let that set totally, then drill with the thinnest tiny drill bits I could buy at the model shop (which strangely couldn't get me screws but can provide drill bit sets down to 0.05m or something silly) along with a modellers hand drill then screw into that.

They need to be flat headed screws so the lid closes on the groundglass. I think I can go without the point but I've not found any machine screws that are quite small enough yet long enough.

At the moment my groundglass is being held in by mostly gaffa tape :surprised:

Also if someone could explain the rather annoyingly complex M screw sizes, maybe microtools does have what I need after all and I'm just not seeing it... though those aren't wood screws either.

Attached Files:

2. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    er and by flat I mean not domed, I'm not fussed if it's incredibly tiny phillips/pozihead or flatblade though the original ones are flatblade.

3. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Try a shop for models: trains, cars etc.
    If you cannot find them there, get back to me.

Greetings,
    Peter

4. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I already tried the model shop. They're the ones that I bought the drill bit set from but I showed them the screws and they looked at them for a minute and said they didn't have any.

5. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Those little Speed Graphic screws are a real nuisance. The original ones tend to rust quite badly, they strip out, they break, they get lost. If a model shop doesn't have them, you can try some of the woodworking shops on-line:

http://www.woodcraft.com/

http://www.rockler.com/

And if not, maybe they can point you in right direction. If you still strike out, let me know - I have a war era 4x5 graphic sitting in my basement that's good for nothing but parts - I might be able to salvage a couple from there.

Dan

6. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hm how come today when I google i find model websites that do have small wood screws? I'll order a few packs and see if I get lucky and report back.

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I'm in the UK I use a very good hardware store but they tell me that it's getting very difficult to find small wood screws, their main suppliers have stopped supplying them, and they are becoming quite expensive.

So I'll be interested to here what you find.

Ian

8. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/self_tapping_screws.htm I'm going to try them... I'm going to order a pack of the 0ga/1.5dia, 6.4mm long and a pack of the countersunk 2ga/2.2dia, 6.4mm long and see which one works best. Since I'm having to fill in the holes in the wood anyway, I think I might end up going for the 2ga countersunk as I think the metal bar it goes through has big enough holes for that.

Having to make up the order amount with some UNC 1/4-20 nuts so now I'll have some tripod bushes :wink:

10. Larry.Manuel

Larry.Manuel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    While I haven't done business here: http://www.skgrimes.com/ I've read good things about this company, which does restoration and repair on wooden cameras.

11. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What could be a solution, if they are available in the UK: screws to fasten H0 rails onto an underground.
    Any place in your neighbourhood that sells model-trains should have them.

Peter

12. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    www.microfasteners.com/ is a U.S. company which specializes in small to tiny screws, bolts etc.
    They will sell in small quantities.

13. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I had the same issue when I removed the ground glass from my Anniversary Speed Graphic. Who knows why they made those screws so small, because they strip out the holes so easily. I carved some wood slivers from a hardwood dowel and wedged them in the holes with some wood glue. I still need a couple more screws, but at least everything's tight now.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Walthers corporation in the US stocks small screws for models. They might have what you want. AFAIK, they ship internationally.

BTW, not to nit pick, but I think it is "gaffer's tape" from the motion picture industry term "gaffer".

PE

17. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You've obviously not worked with lampies before :smile:

18. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually yes I have. Is this a British thing, like couloueuer for color or whileust for while, or even Worchestershystershire Sauce? :D

PE

20. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Coincidently, I made exactly this point on another forum earlier this week. And I was nit picking!

And if I wanted to nit pick even further I would suggest gaffers' instead of gaffer's.

Steve.

21. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    To be honest, I guess lampies either say Gaff or Gaffa at least in my limited experience over here.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check them all out. Looks like some good leads.

22. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We have "Lee Valley Tools", here in Canada. They will have these screws. Brass, slotted, flat head, round etc.

They are known for their mail order service.

23. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've determined from various conversions that microfasteners is the only one that has small enough screws - #0 x 3/16th ~ 1.5mm dia, 4.7mm(ish) length. Any longer than that and i'll go through the wood on the springback.

They come in packs of 100 so I'll see about ordering some and shipped here, then once they're here, anyone else needing some of these annoyingly tiny screws can get some off of me :smile:

24. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Keep plenty in stock yourself !!! Happy that you found them.

Peter

25. B&Jdude

B&Jdude Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A German outfit (schraubendepot on Fleabay) has tiny brass (messing) flathead (senkkopf) woodscrews (holzschrauben) in pkgs of 25 or 100. They have a large variety of sizes, cost is very low (about $3 US for 100), very fast delivery, and they have an English speaking lady on their staff who can help you.

I just bought some 1.6mm x 8mm screws from them . . . go to item 370116181631, then look into their store. The little screws are on about the 3rd page.

26. freygr

freygr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format