Need Help for A Detroit (possibly) location

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Marek Warunkiewicz, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Marek Warunkiewicz

Marek Warunkiewicz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all!

I'm helping a friend who owns a unique furnishings store (http://www.metropolis-living.com). I have been helping him (pro bono, he is my good buddy after all) with marketing tasks like designing and producing his web site, designing logos, tags, cards etc. He is going into a very serious show in February and he will have a booth there. Considering his type of merchandise, I'd like to take some very high-resolution images, possibly 8x10 color negative, of a couple of interiors.

One would be a derelict factory interior and another would be some place that would probably have been really beautiful in it's heyday but has been left to decay. Some place like an old hotel lobby or an old, stately, railroad depot, something like that.

I am willing to travel for a day or two to get to that location, so from Toronto that would mean around 500-600 miles to get to it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Marek

2. KenFretz

KenFretz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let me suggest that you start with http://micharch.blogspot.com/. On the left are links to many of the local websites of people and organizations trying to preserve Detroit's history. Yes we have a wonderful abandoned train station but hurry this town is deteriorating fast.

Ken

3. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey Marek,

There are tons of abandoned spaces in the area that would meet those criteria. Are you going to take the product into there to photograph, or just shoot backdrops? I can point you to probably a few dozen places within downtown proper.

BTW - My wife & I are hosting a gathering the first weekend in December here in Detroit. We may end up in some places like that. Let me know if you're interested.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd try messaging jdCallow with your question.