need help identifying lens

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by llouiseelliott, Jul 26, 2009.

1. llouiseelliott

llouiseelliott Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

I'm fairly new to photography and need help identifying and possibly valuing a lens. This lens was given to me by its original owner. It fits a Nikon F2A. If anyone can tell me anything about this lens and its value it would be greatly appreciated.

pics are at the link below

http://tinypic.com/a/ycgp/4

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Most data can be read on the lens: it is a third party 3.5-4.5 28-85mm zoom with a Nikon mount.
    You will have to make some pic's with it at diferent settings to see how good it is.
    I would use f:5.6 or f:8 for best results.

The range of 28mm wide angle to 85mm short tele would make it a very usable all-round lens if the quality is good.

Value ???
    See if you like the results and keep it.

I would have loved to have a lens like that for my OM's years back......

Peter

3. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's generic short zoom. Value is in the $15-$30 range depending on whether you're buying or selling.

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's a Sears store brand. Might be pretty good, might be junk. Market-wise, I'd say somewhere in the vicinity of $15-20.

They probably OEM the lens from someone like Cosina or Sigma. With a lens like this, it's not worth much on the market, but it could be a much better picture taker than it's monetary value. You may as well try it and see if the results are good enough for you to get value out of it.