Need Help with a Decision on an Enlarger

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by bobwysiwyg, Apr 15, 2008.

1. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did do searches, and found bits and pieces, but couldn't formulate all the info I was looking for. I shoot only B&W and currently, 35mm. I'm just returning to film after a long hiatus. My current enlarger is a Durst C35 but see the handwriting on the wall. I would like to find another enlarger (used, no problem with older equipment and it will save some $$) that could also handle 4x5 as I would like to try that down the road. Any suggestions as to what would be a good one to keep an eye out for?

B&W
    4x5 capable
    condenser head

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Dang! I have a like-new Beseler 23CIII condenser head in my basement that I no longer use since I bought an old DII and fitted it with a cold light head. I used it for 35mm & medium format, but 6x9 cm is is big as it goes. And we're close enough that we could do a handoff halfway across and avoid hefty shipping.

3. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fire, thanks for the reply. Small world, my duaghter is a Hope graduate and my son-in-law is from Holland.:smile: I really want 4x5 capability though. I would like to give that (affordable view camera:confused:smile: a try.

4. Paul VanAudenhove

Paul VanAudenhove Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I suppose the two most popular/available choices would be DII or a Beseler 45 series.

5. jmcd

jmcd Member

Beseler 45VXL, in large part because the negative stage remains stationary. You have the choice of using several heads.

6. markos

markos Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a Beseler 45VXL you can have for free if you come to pick it up. No light source, though. I do have a couple of lens boards, both the short and long extended focussing wands, and the instruction manual. I'm in Rochester. PM me if you're interested.

Mark

7. mmcclellan

mmcclellan Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Omega D2s are easy to find, pretty cheap, and great to use. They're usually cheaper than the Beseler 4x5s, although I would prefer the Beseler all other things being equal.

I've had both and am now using a D2 and am VERY pleased with it.

8. rmann

rmann Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a Beseler 45VXL you can have for free if you come to pick it up. No light source, though. I do have a couple of lens boards, both the short and long extended focussing wands, and the instruction manual. I'm in Rochester. PM me if you're interested.

A free Beseler VXL would be a very nice upgrade - I know I would jump at the chance to get one for the price of gas!

9. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Showing more of my ignorance here, but how difficult would be to locate a light source?

10. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's easy to find a light source for either an Omega D2/DII or similar Beseler. Many light source heads have adapter rings to allow them to mount on either enlarger. There are a lot of used ones out there. Arista cold-light heads, the variable-condenser D2, fixed condenser, omega color heads, mornick color heads, ilford multigrade head, the minolta color head which you'd probably want to avoid, etc.

That's the advantage of an Omega or Beseler. Availability of bits and pieces.

11. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi, do a search on ebay for "beseler head" and you should find a few.

Jon

12. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually gave it a try already. Lack of knowledge might be an issue. I see there are adapters for Omega heads, but can any Beseler 45 head fill the bill?

13. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Yes, the beseler 45 condenser head will just drop right into the 45V-XL

Jon

14. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jon.